frontosa and lights

A.PROPHECY

anyones frontosa scared of the light?

mine hardley ever come out when i have the light on

ive just got one 4 foot fluro over my 6 foot tank and there just so skittish when its on.

anyone had this happen? and have they got used to it?

im probly just gona put a smaller light on but it just doesnt show the fish up aswell

Our frons are always out in the light, on the 8fter we have a aqua sky tube... 36 watt and the other half of the tank is a aqua coral 36 watt blue... the frons do travel to both parts of the tank happily, yet I notice the alpha male likes to herd his women down the other end... might be due to light or maybe he prefers that particular rock pile :roll: :D

Are they in the tank by themselves? When I got mine they hid away, I put some Dolphins and Peacock pair in with them and they swim around now.

Will remove the other fish when Fronts show signs of breeding, but they all get along no problem. Dolphins have bred a few times. They are in 8 foot with bright 40watt 4 foot light.

I have rainbowfish in my fron tank as dithers, and a nice pair of dolphins... and one jacobfreibergi male who was the weakest link out of many display males I had (he was actually the weakest link in someone elses tank and I saved him from being snuffed out)... couldn't bear to part with him, he's had a hard life, so now it's a nice time for him to have the whole tank to himself as sole peacock... 8) I agree with malawiman.. dithers work well in with frons.... 8)

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys long time no talk! It shell here, don't stress about your fronts just enjoy an gain their trust. They do perfer their light to be slightly more melow. Don't panic! Handfeed as much as possible. You lucky buggers I so miss that. I have a very tame marine tank and two breeding bullterriers now. Fronts to come!

shell

Oh wow so great to see you posting shell :D

We had lost your email addy so please flick us an email.... Will PM you our new email addy :)

The frons are doing fantastically 8) Growing and love their tank, they seem to stick more so down the dim end, blue lighthing, nowhere near as intense 8)

PS Would love to see some more bully pics hehe We have a Staffordshire pup coming to join us next week, new addition and will be getting a english bully towards the end of the year 8)

Our computor cooked cos of the heat i guess, craig went overboard got this big flash bugger that i don't know how to use properly, Neither do the Aussie's.I will have to wait for craig to fix me up downloading the cool pix's i have dog's and fish. Spend alot of time watching fish in the wild rather than keeping them.BUT will get the fronts i desire.Everything takes time for once fish our last prioity.

Anyway I don't suggest keeping any fish with frontosa's if you want them to breed successfully. If you just want a tank with fronts and heaps other fish, but no eggs(fronts they are sookes won't stick up for eggs)then have a cool looking tangi tank. If ya wanna breed them and enjoy them bigtime, just have front's! And baby them, enteract with them as much as possible have your hand in the tank heaps. Don't feed everyday day, try every second or third day, they will come out and feed out of your hand. And they won't starve in between times.

Hope this is of help.

shell

Hi Shell, Im not sure if you can still remember me, I got 10 fronnies from you when I was still in Akl. I am here now in Melbourne and still keeping fish, I moved on from Fronnies though but I still miss them. At the moment I only have Tropheus Maswa and Kachese and some odd Tangs.

Fronnies does not like bright lights at all, I recon if you have a good size colony you dont need dither fish at all.

Hi Shell, Im not sure if you can still remember me, I got 10 fronnies from you when I was still in Akl. I am here now in Melbourne and still keeping fish, I moved on from Fronnies though but I still miss them. At the moment I only have Tropheus Maswa and Kachese and some odd Tangs.

Fronnies does not like bright lights at all, I recon if you have a good size colony you dont need dither fish at all.

Hi there - man HOW MANY kiwis are over the ditch, lol. I reckon they are all leaving for the better selection of fish !!! Haha. Anyway - Im sure Im not the only one whow would love to see pics of your fish :) Can you put some up ?

Hi there - man HOW MANY kiwis are over the ditch, lol. I reckon they are all leaving for the better selection of fish !!! Haha. Anyway - Im sure Im not the only one whow would love to see pics of your fish :) Can you put some up ?

LOL something like 30,000 NZers leave to live in Australia each year. It makes me wonder how there is anyone left here!! :lol:

We have several hundred temporary vineyard workers here at the moment. You walk the streets and hear all sorts of different languages. Very interesting.

Welcome to Auckland. Its not just spoken languages tho, there's parts of town where the shops have hardly a word of english on them...

Back to the topic.... I have a timer on my Fronnie grow on tank lights, 13hrs on , I also put some small E. Yellows with them to show them how to eat! (thanks Gaven, the fish are all well) they are gradually becoming less and less skitterish. Hopefully by the time I move them into the big tank they will stay out where I can see them!