How do you catch your fish?

Mad Whip

We net our holding girls... make it quick, try to get her in a place that is most accessible, so you are not forever chasing her around the tank and stressing her out and the most important thing is patience, nothing worse than feeling tense on the end of the net because they can sense it big time... if a female isn't in a good spot to catch her at the time, then it is best to play the waiting game.

small barbless hook

hard to get holding female to open mouth

easiest way is to take tank apart and catch female

i did say this in jest :D

holding females hard to catch

i use 2 large nets and the sit and wait method

wait for her to get harassed into path of nets

sometimes leave them in there for a day or 2 till fish get used to them

or take the tank apart

Fishtraps are useless for catching holding fish as they chill out in the back and you cant lure them out with food...

I use 2 nets the biggest ones I can find that fit in the tank (for my big tank I have a fishing net from the warehouse) move slowly and try and move them gently into the big net.. Its when you start moving frantically that things go badly.. Usually I have to take all the rocks out to catch a fish, I leave a few in for the holding fish to hide in so I can hopefully flush them out and into a net.. Its all hit and miss and takes time, but one thing you can guarantee is you will never catch the one fish you want...

Firstly, what size is the tank? That makes all the difference.

I will give u an example of a 4x2x2. I strip down 1/2 the tank. I use a small net 6-8 inch & a larger net about 18inch. I use the smaller net to herd the holding fish down one end of the tank, then use the large net to catch her out. Easy as that.... Even easier in a 4x15x18, as the net is the width of the tank... nearly cheating :lol:

Frenchy :D

I'm like most of the others....I totally strip the tank then gently herd the fish into one corner with two nets. I bring the nets together to corral them and I slowly bring them up from underneath to net the fish.

Nice and easy does it. :D