May 30, 200818 yr comment_238755 After climbing up and down into the attic a dozen times, removing 1 dead rat, getting covered with fiberglass insulation...I have discovered 2 things. 1. I can't install my heat transfer kit thermostat where I want because I can't get the wires down in the wall there is obviously a crosspiece between the studs in the way. 2. An Energizer Rechargable flashlight, when crawling around in a pitch black attic with no alternative lightsource, gives you 10 seconds between the light dimming and totally going out. Report
May 30, 200818 yr comment_238756 The crosspiece is called a dwang - and you can get long multipiece drill bits for drilling cable holes in them from Mitre10 etc. Report
May 30, 200818 yr comment_238757 And while you are at it get an LED headlamp for next to nothing that lasts 10,000 hours. Report
May 30, 200818 yr Author comment_238758 The crosspiece is called a dwang - and you can get long multipiece drill bits for drilling cable holes in them from Mitre10 etc. That would be a good idea, unfortunately, because I have about 3 inches of space between the dwang at the top of the wall and the roof...Well, my drill alone is far longer than that. Maybe if I drilled from the on top of the roof down? Report
May 30, 200818 yr Author comment_238759 And while you are at it get an LED headlamp for next to nothing that lasts 10,000 hours. I might as well get an LED bulb for the flashlight I have. Oh, and it's only the LED that will last for 10,000 hours, the batteries in that headlamp won't last anywhere near that long. Report
May 30, 200818 yr comment_238765 The crosspiece is called a dwang - and you can get long multipiece drill bits for drilling cable holes in them from Mitre10 etc. hmmm its a nogging isnt it just cut some holes in your gib just below and one just above drill a hole in your nogging and pass your wire though easy as do it all the time Report
May 30, 200818 yr comment_238766 might be easier to get another rat and teach him to chew through that dwang or seriously a flexi drive attachment for the drill may work edit: or follow slappers advice but dont forget to replaster those holes Report
May 30, 200818 yr comment_238776 Slappers, you have to realise that Thecounch is from a different country and they use different language. Either is correct but Dwangs are what those in the cold south call Noggins. They also refer to bachs as cribs... a funny lot down that way arnt they Report
May 30, 200818 yr Author comment_238780 I don't think cutting holes in the wall, plastering and then repainting is an acceptable option. Report
May 30, 200818 yr comment_238793 I don't think cutting holes in the wall, plastering and then repainting is an acceptable option. so trained rat or flexidrive it is then ? Report
May 30, 200818 yr comment_238794 I don't think cutting holes in the wall, plastering and then repainting is an acceptable option. And there is always the "building a whole new wall" option Report
May 30, 200818 yr Author comment_238795 so trained rat or flexidrive it is then ? Or put it somewhere else. It is right above a light switch(Which is one of the reasons I thought to put it there in the first place) maybe I could tape the wires to the wires for it along with a rope or something, drag them back up into the attic, pull off the wires for the heat transfer kit and then drag the switch's wires back using the rope? Because, I haven't got a clue where they actually are travelling through the walls. Report
May 30, 200818 yr comment_238797 have done it once before with a length of soft thick wire and a lot of manipulation trying to thread the holes when through, then attaching the cable and pulling through can you detach one of the light wires and pull a string through to top then repeat the process back and forth till job is done turn power off first though :oops: Report
May 30, 200818 yr Author comment_238801 have done it once before with a length of soft thick wire and a lot of manipulation trying to thread the holes when through, then attaching the cable and pulling through can you detach one of the light wires and pull a string through to top then repeat the process back and forth till job is done turn power off first though :oops: Yeah, I think I'll give that a try. Although... I can see this resulting in me not having any power at all going to the light switch. Report
May 30, 200818 yr comment_238807 its better in the dark or do you need to see the light brother good luck with the wiring dont leave any bits sticking out when you pull through the wires as they get stuck sometimes i have put tape around it to make it smooth before Report
May 31, 200818 yr comment_239031 Electrical is really not a good DIY project folks, you can end up with a fire or worse. Report
June 1, 200818 yr Author comment_239072 Electrical is really not a good DIY project folks, you can end up with a fire or worse. Neither is plumbing, painting, hammering nails or using a screwdriver. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.