Who set you up?

wasp

Just thought it would be interesting to find out, we all had to start somewhere. Most of us had something that started an interest in reefing, and many of us would have had someone who helped us through the early stages. just wondered what and who that was?

To get it started, for me, it was a visit to Jansens pet shop, I saw the most contented ever looking pair of clownfish lolling around in a very big anemone. Until then i had no idea such a thing could be kept in a tank but I knew i wanted it. And the guy who set me up was Ralph Jansen himself, explained the nitrogen cycle to me and sold me all the gear. It was all fairly primitive in those days we didn't even use liverock or skimmers but Ralph got me up and running then I gradually learned more over the years.

Cant really say I had any one person help me out more than anyone else. I read through alot of stuff on this (and the other) site and got alot of good advice from alot of good people. group effort id say 8)

What got me into it: a few years of admiring the saltwater fish on the way to getting the freshwater fish i could actually afford :P

I lived in the states for a few years and was into tropicalfish which lead to salt, I lived on the road at the time always travelling so couldnt get a tank till I moved home to NZ. Dave at HFF was very very helpful in my early years of keeping a tank, reef has been helpful as have a number of reefers who I have met over the years

what got me intomarines was looking at some stunning fish and corals here and at the LFS

as for helping me set up that wouls also be a big thanks to john at organism for the good advice

and to the other reefers that helped me out with frags along the way :bow::hail::bow:

went fishing about 25 years ago and pulled up an old fan belt with a pair of seahorses attached,

into a bucket and then a tank at home with daily waterchanges, lived next to habour so was easy.

No one else keeping marines so into the library, an old american book on keeping marines and away it went

tropical marines started by swapping the local stuff i had to Harold in rotorua for tropical marines for his display tanks at the original wonderworld, thanks harold :hail:

reefing started with gannet pestering me to set a tank up

thanks gannet :hail:

then thanks to all for the swaps and frags since then :hail:

Had been diving in the red sea for many years (many years ago) and since came to NZ and missed all that magic.

so my daughter turned up with a little tank 20cm and that prompted us to go to HFF Albany to get some FW fish. but after looking at their display and asking few questions I went back the next week and spent around $1000 on rocks and hardware.

I guess it started for me while I was living over the ditch. Visited a Aquarium shop in Highett, Melbourne to grab some F/W fish for a mates new tank. Saw all the marines on display, and wanted one right away. Of course being only 12-13y/o at the time meant there was no way in hell my parents were gonna fork out the money for one.

Got back here, and forgot about marines until 4-5 years ago when I visited Jansens. I had no clue you could get marines over here :roll: , as they aren't exactly widely advertised. And whilst researching marine tanks I found this site. Most of the people here (and a few that aren't anymore), helped me through the early stages, from tank planning, equipment, and running info. Have to give a big thumbsup.gif to all of ya!

for me bought a tank with goldfish in it but wanted to set it up as a discus tank, did some searches on google and found fnzas! After visiting organism and redwood i decided a marine tank was really what i wanted as well. Bought an existing tank and lduncan from the forum helped me set it up, transfer it and look after my livestock for me. ever since then its been all the helpful ppl on fnzas, (and another forum i shouldn't mention), thats been providing info for me. Plus heaps of great info from john at organism

For us it was John at Organism - I used to go in to look at the carnivorous plants and then happened to look at the marine selection - I was fascinated by the flame angel, coral banded shrimp and clam (the ones that ended up in cONCH's tank!!)It was at the time the RSM was just coming in and after a few visits and some discussion between ourselves and John we decided to give it a go. So glad we did!

for me it was Jansens at their old address in Mt eden road.

was admiring soom marine fish in a couple of tanks and Rolf took me down stairs to a room were there was a large marine tank full of life,

I new I wanted one so stated by selling fresh water stuff and converting 3 foot tank to marinr.Just had under gravel filter and some lime stone rocks

worked okay kept anemone and clowns and a cataphollia for about 2 to 3 years before upgrading to 4 foot with bioballs .

Rolf took me down stairs to a room were there was a large marine tank full of life

Ha! Kevan that's the same place where it started for me! Down in the dungeon!! :lol:

Didn't know you had been in the hobby that long! Wonder if we even rubbed shoulders down there!

I was into freshwater for some time and loved the marines at Hollywoods.

Could not afford it so after 5 years or so when i had enough cash to do a decent tank it all started. Must have spent about $500 a week for about 6-12 months.

Used to rush in on shipment days with about 12 others waiting at the door at 5pm.

Getting a acropora in those days was like getting gold. today you find them in the garden :D

First started with a chap in Te Atatu, can't for the life of me remember his name, who owned a petshop there, and began importing marines. He was partly deaf, a good bloke and I use to help him with shipments etc .This was 30 odd years ago. Found Aquazoo in Ellerslie that had a few tanks, and then Jansens, yes around the back of the old shop and downstairs into the dungeon.

Met Dave from HFF about 20 yrs ago, and the rest is history.

My first tanks were flash as, nova roof for the full underground filter, airstone for lifts, nothing else. But they were surprisingly successful.

Had marines about 25 years ago as a fish only tank.

Then about 10 Years ago I went to the Singapore tropical fish Expo and saw some amazing tanks at a place called Aquatechnic

They were all Reef tanks with nice 19mm glass sealed with black RTV with all edges ground and no bracing.

They were really clean and looked really first class.

They used all Dupla gear and my friend and I were astounded by the quality of the corels and how they were growing and flourishing.

Now I see the various gear available and it all makes it very easy to keep a nice tank. Of course you still need thousands to get set up, but hey, you got to spend your money on something.