Killi Fish Room Cons.

Charlie

I am going to start a killifish room.

I have a bunch of killies at the moment, and getting lost more in the next few weeks.

I want to make a room that meets MAF standards and was wondering if this pic would meet the standard for a contained room...

http://s79.photobucket.com/albums/j154/ ... CF0039.jpg

This pic is Tims and I want to do something like this.

I have read the Standard many times, I know that It needs a basin and drainage. That can be done, I just using tims idea as a start. I want to have it to be able to meet the standard, so if i really want to I can get a licence and import some species into NZ but not really a priority.

I am thinking that I am going to get this

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... ermanent=0

Slightly modified by only haveing one door.

Will be set on a concrete pad that has drainage into a septic tank of mine. This meets the standard from what I understand, will be on the phone to MAF about this, because it seems like a possability to be able to do this.

Unless things have changed since I imported fish you will need to sterilize water with 50ppm Chlorine and that will probably kill off the septic tank and if that doesn't the antibiotics you use to treat any diseases probably will. If you you put the water from your tanks through the septic tank it will be completely overloaded and will fail. Not a good Idea.

You also need an ante room that you enter and change into your overalls, gumboots and gloves before you enter the quarantine room.

Charlie have you got a copy of Standard 154.02.06

quote from standard

During quarantine, access to the facility shall only be via the personnel entrance, an outer changing room that provides for the storage of street clothes and footwear.

The operator shall provide protective clothing and footwear for staff and visitors to use in the facility. This shall remain in the facility and always be kept separate from street clothes. Disposable overshoes may be used provided they are destroyed after use.

The operator shall develop procedures for the movement of people to and from the facility which prevent the potential transfer of pathogenic agents from quarantined fish to non-quarantined fish. These procedures shall address the risk of transfer via

the hands, arms, footwear and clothing. Procedures shall include the requirement for people who make contact with fish or water to wash their hands and forearms with soap and water before exit from the facility.

do you have the right documents for a quarantine room?

I would suggest that if you are serious about creating a quarantine facility you should get the standard and also apply for a building consent from your Local Authority for the purpose of: "the importation, quarantine and breeding of fish," and get the written consent of the Regional Council for the discharge of effluent to the ground. Then construct a building that meets the requirements of Maf (that shed will not)

Any building that is less than 10sqm and one story high does not require a building consent if it is at least the same distance from the boundary as it is high (the one in the picture is not) unless it is for certain purposes like what you propose. (a garden shed doesn't, a quarantine facility does).

In summary: You will need to comply with the Requirements of Maf (NZS 154.02.06), your Local Authority (Building Act and RMA), your Regional Authority(RMA) and you will need to be listed in the gazette.

Most of the above will require site visits for which you will be billed.

You may need an application under RMA (which could involve a hearing at your expense) at either or both the Local or Regional Council.

Good Luck. If you succeed I could be in the market.

"charlie", do you have at least $20,000 to spare on building an aproved quarantine facility? If answer is yes, go ahead, if answer is no, then don't even bother thinking about it!

for all of the above, you will need to use your correct legal name not assumed names

LOLOLOLOLOL!

After reading the standard it becomes clearer why not many people are doing it.

quite an eye opener isn't it

add to that as you stated before most councils view it as a non complying issue, so neighbours permission is required and a resource consent will be then required with submissions from the general public

20,000 is astarting point evil

quite an eye opener isn't it

add to that as you stated before most councils view it as a non complying issue, so neighbours permission is required and a resource consent will be then required with submissions from the general public

20,000 is astarting point evil

$20,000 wont get you far at all!

Try 100k +

When I built my fish house I applied for a (then) building permit for the importation, quarantine and breeding of fish and they tried to get me to change the application but I insisted it stay that way. After breeding fish for many years I applied for quarantine and one of the conditions (as per the existing standard) was that I had to get confirmation of Local Authority approval and it was a bit difficult to decline when I pointed out that the Building Permit was issued by them for that purpose and therefore had existing use rights. It helps to be working for another Council at the time and they cannot bluff then.

It often does cost heaps but it depends on what is contained in the district and Regional plans. I managed to convince the Local Authority that it had existing use rights and that the operation would comply as a home based occupation. Setting up a new one today might not be as easy. So much depends on what they define as a complying use. Quarantine has so many potential problems that they don't usually make provision for it.