May Aquarium World

Caryl

You often learn more from others (or your own) mistakes than by reading how to do it right. It can also be more constructive.

As to "I don't know how", that is not a valid answer. If someone said to you "How did you set up this great tank you have here?" you wouldn't say "I don't know", you would tell them a basic step by step. When writing, imagine someone has asked you "How did you do (breed, build, make etc) that?" and go from there.

As said, I can correct grammar and spelling as required.

Please, give it a go.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand the joke , and I'm sure Wok probably will do something to help ( he always does ) but why don't you write something ? I've read advice you have given others on killies and other fish and a lot of it I've thought to be good advice I'm sure you have a heap of knowlage that could help others. i was never good at writing , still not but i always try and Caryl fixes my spelling mistakes ;) give it a go, you might surprise yourself :)

What like this?

Caryl already has it (i think) :wink:

Just as a point of interest...

folding and stapling took 3 hrs

bagging and stamping (3 of us working hard) took 2 hrs

printing the magazines took 24 hrs

Actually writing the thing took over 30 hrs

Great work,

Why don’t you have the magazine online? Give subscribers a password to read it,

Will save lots of time and postage.

I am sure we have computer gurus who can help.

Even as a PDF it can be too big for most inboxes (>12MB). We could look at ftp download but that would potentially chew up a lot of my server bandwidth... Certainly with the costs rising to create the AW and distribute it we may have to look at other options. It would be a lot cheaper to produce and send electronically. However, then we have security issues of the magazine being forwarded on to unsubscribed people and the fact that many if not most of it's readers still prefer the paper version.

Maybe we can make a purely online version with a password to access or based off membership etc - maybe also too hard. Just a few thoughts without really thinking much about it...

I have just discovered the rules change in July and we will be eligible to apply for permit post which will cut the cost of postage! Still working out what is involved. May have to print magazines with the permit post logo on the magazine itself.

There are heaps of rules and regulations I am checking out :roll:

thank you for the mag Caryl and everyone who contributed.

What made you decide to "bag the mag" and keep it flat this time instead of folding as has been done in the past if you don't mind me asking?

From a mail sorters perspective it is a LOT easier to handle when flat like this time. :hail:

As you ought to know :lol: NZPost changed its mail rates and made the allowable thickness less, so the mags were too fat when folded to go at 50c. This meant our postage doubled (plus the cost of the bags).

They have just changed the criteria for permit post though and I believe we can now apply for that, whereas we couldn't before as we didn't have the volume required. They dropped the minimum number from 500 to 300. I am making my way through all the forms but I am pretty sure we can permit post for 65.7c per mag. There are a lot of rules re size and placement of permit logo etc that I have to wade through.

I may also have to put the permit post logo on the magazine itself so a design change to the cover may be required or cut the advertising on the back to half a page (losing revenue) and mail merging names and addresses plus logo onto the covers as they print.

PS. Sorry Dennis but your magazine will be late - bounced back cos we forgot to put the stamps on it :oops: . At least the yellow "insufficient postage" stickers peel off the plastic easily, unlike when they were on paper they stuck like the proverbial s**** to a blanket :roll: