Easy Water Changes

danilada

Just stick the hose out the window onto the lawn/garden and use a tap with a hose to fill the tank.

No point sticking the water down the drain. More environmentally to put in it the garden isnt it?

And seems to make ferns and pungas etc grow like crazy!

Just stick the hose out the window onto the lawn/garden and use a tap with a hose to fill the tank.

No point sticking the water down the drain. More environmentally to put in it the garden isnt it?

Thats what I used to do when I had my 240L freshwater tank. Good old garden hose out onto the grass. Then Garden hose back into the tank. Just have a nozzle so you can turn it off and on when putting water back in. Alternately, if you have a water container and a spare pump you can do the same thing, just make sure you can turn on/off the pump at the fish tank.

Makes it heaps less of a drama

I have one of those things except mine is a pretty blue, not that bright green :lol:

How well they work depends on how far away from the tank your tap is, how high the tank is compared to the tap, and how good your water pressure is.

I do not use it to do water changes as I can't get enough flow to suck up the crud. I can use it to refill the tank but it is very slow as I have a very long distance for the hose to go, very little height difference between tap and tank, and low water pressure.

Biggest problem is forgetting it is filling (takes up to 30 minutes to refill 60L) so I prefer to use buckets rather than look up from my book to see water flowing over the top of the tank :cry:

hehe ok, do you guys siphon a actual *4 meter* lenth hose etc though.

My hose is 4 meters, how would I siphon that.

Exactly the same way you normally would, it just takes longer to get to the other end of the hose :P

We siphon out the window onto the lawn to, if you dont have a "shake and start" type siphon then you'd need to be sucking on the other end and hope like hell you dont get a mouth full of water!!!

Exactly the same way you normally would, it just takes longer to get to the other end of the hose :P

We siphon out the window onto the lawn to, if you dont have a "shake and start" type siphon then you'd need to be sucking on the other end and hope like hell you dont get a mouth full of water!!!

Thats what I thought, thats the reason I like see-through hoses. Can you buy see thorugh hosing in big lenths?

My hose is 9.5m and, as I said, it siphons too slowly over that length to have enough oomph to clean as it siphons. It is made up of 2 hose lengths, one short, with a tap between the 2 so I have to turn the tap closed then fill the short hose at the siphon end then drop the siphon underwater, then turn the tap open. This starts it siphoning. Too long to suck!! :lol: