Not sure is this is being done!

IHBR

Hey, I'm been a lurker in this forum for awhile, and a lot of the things I've read have made my eyes roll!I feel people should really be reading books on this subject, and get the right info before taking the advice of some people on this forum, even some of the most out of date books have more correct info that what peolple some are telling others here! I think people are just gettin lazy and its going to get newbes in the hobby in trouble. Comments please.

there was a thread, someone was going to put arowana in a 2 foot tank with neons and killies, the reply to that was "should be fine" were both the people serious? were the neons etc going to be food? and was the arowana going to be moved to a bigger tank later?

I would need to read the specific thread to be able to comment. It is possible they weren't serious. I have vague memories of some joking going on some time ago re fish sizes and compatibility so perhaps you have seen a small bit of that and misunderstood.

I have never heard anyone advising arowanas could be kept in the 2ft tank - quite the opposite in fact.

if its the thread i was thinking of the aro was small and the person was advised that this could only be a temporary measure

there is a lot of knowledge and experience within the forum members and sooner or later the right advice is given by someone to any questions on here

as you have said some people should read books, but some people have trouble assimilating the info in books or they need a bit of reassurance.

as Caryl has said even books contain conflicting info, especially some of the beginner type books, good books can be expensive or harder to find.

sometimes it is an emergency and the correct info not available so the forum is here

Comments, well let me see :o

I think reading, which has been recommended lots on here, including by those who have lots of experience, is important. Good books are hard to find where I live and I'm not going to order them in for an arm and a leg :o

The net as we all know has lots of resources. So a good place to source out info.

But personally, even after I read things on the net, I come back here. I can read all I want but I like to double check with those who have experience.

As I've said before, one of the things I've learned is that what works for one may/may not work for another and so on. But I really like having this option of asking others their opinions/help, etc.

Comment ended :lol: :lol: :lol:

Caper

IHBR , I'd say given that yo've only been lurking - why don't you contribute in cases where you think thre's a possibility that something may be misleading to an unsuspecting newbie? :-?

That's what we're all here for.. to learn and hopefully prevent future mistakes based on the experiences of others!! :hail:

They were joking around, it goes back to another now non-existant member asking stupid questions about housing arowana's in small tanks...

Yes there is alot of info in books but alot of that is down to the person who wrote the book's experience and a beginner may not understand it and books may or may not answer their questions. Here they can get alot of differing opionions form their own decision and even get feedback on advice given.. Nothing beats learning from others mistakes and seeing what others have done :)

forums are just a base for ideas. its like a group of mothers. i do this with my baby it seems to work etc...... may not work for every one however if you think the information is not right you should question it..... on the whole i find the infomation to be informitive

I suppose whatever info you get its all through someones experience, I'd just rather get it from a trusted and well recognised source eg: Takashi Amano, or Hans Baensch, or even the fraudster himself Herbert Axelrod.

IMO I find it hard to find answers to specific questions you may have in books or on the internet and sometimes it is easier to ask on here incase someone else has had the same experience and can help out with what they did.

You may not always agree with the advice as there is more than one way to swing a cat, but like with any advice take in what you can and learn what works for you, I think that's what this forum is all about.

Its also good for beginners to give their opinions as it helps them gain confidence in fishkeeping too. There are so many years of experience on this forum that it is a great help to many, I know I have learnt heaps from coming on here.

And like someone else stated if you disagree then post that too and give the person the benefit of your experience.