BIG tanks, power bills and setup costs.

yarimochi

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My power bills not toooo bad. I live in a one bedroom house, and all up including four tanks (2 x four footers, 1 x 2 foot cube and one small all in one, running two canister filters, two internal filters, a skimmer, but only lights on two of them atm, three heated) has been approx $150 a month.

Jasmine..... whoa, $150 per month? Mine is $50-70 :D

Two bedroom house, one person, five tanks, five lights, one external filter, two powerheads and two fans on constantly for cooling (will be more soon, it is getting warm) and long luxurious showers.... ;)

I am proud of my powerbill.

Jasmine..... whoa, $150 per month? Mine is $50-70 :D

Two bedroom house, one person, five tanks, five lights, one external filter, two powerheads and two fans on constantly for cooling (will be more soon, it is getting warm) and long luxurious showers.... ;)

I am proud of my powerbill.

Hehe. Cool! Mine seemed average to me after renting a three bedroom place, but shows what I know :)

If your power bill is really that high I would be having it checked - uless some of your tanks are marines and running metal halides or something equally power hungry. We used to have 18 tanks running here (no double glazing and fancy stuff anywhere) and our power bill was never anywhere near that. Do you run underfloor heating?

There's only 2 of us but we run a lot of electronic equipment 24/7 plus 2 heat pumps (we use gas heating in the lounge). Apart from the one gas fire, all our stuff is electric. Our power bills are around $200.

We are now running the pond pump so it will be interesting to see what a difference it makes on the next bill.

Meant to be only me and mum at home now (4bdrm house, quite big though) but the sisters in and out at times. Anyway, got 12 or 13 tanks running (dont you just hate it when you lose count of how many tanks you have... mind you, mum has two!) We use an oil heater in winter and our powerbill is, er, wait... (whats a powerbill again?) :lol: 8)

I've read that people switch to heatpumps expect low power bills but what actually happens is that they just improve the comfort level in the house and don't end up spending any less (and often end up spending more) but then... houses really should be kept at reasonable temps (ie: your breath shouldn't be condensing indoors!!) so it's all a good thing :)

That was part of my reason for wanting to stay with coldwater fish :) But I've given in and run my tank at 18-19 so I can get a couple of 'sucker fish'.. which is funny because in a well built/well insulated hosue I shouldn't need a haeter to get that temp!

I won't however give in to more tanks than I have now which is 1 (plus a smaller breeding tank which I don't even intend to run all the time at this point) for the very reason that it will ramp up my power bill.. which I quite like at $70-80 (and this includes running a pump from our well for our water supply!)

We have a log burner :) and we spend alot of time being cold too though ;) But hey.. we're saving money right? Brrrrrrrrrr!!!

Firewood costs us about $300/year though.. so I guess in all fairness if you divide that by 12 months and add it to the bill that would be about $100 on average for a 3 bed home. But we turn stuff off at the switches and run heated towel rails on a timer and don't leave stuff running unless we need to, little thigns like that that add up nicely :)

I've read that people switch to heatpumps expect low power bills but what actually happens is that they just improve the comfort level in the house and don't end up spending any less (and often end up spending more) but then... houses really should be kept at reasonable temps (ie: your breath shouldn't be condensing indoors!!) so it's all a good thing :)

That was part of my reason for wanting to stay with coldwater fish :) But I've given in and run my tank at 18-19 so I can get a couple of 'sucker fish'.. which is funny because in a well built/well insulated hosue I shouldn't need a haeter to get that temp!

I won't however give in to more tanks than I have now which is 1 (plus a smaller breeding tank which I don't even intend to run all the time at this point) for the very reason that it will ramp up my power bill.. which I quite like at $70-80 (and this includes running a pump from our well for our water supply!)

Our bill dropped by about 30% after we put a heat pump in and stopped using the log burner - the house is just like they say on the adverts - warmer, dryer, and it costs a lot less too :D

Our power bill dropped about $50 a month in winter after installing the heat pump as well. It did go up about $20 a month in summer though...

I used to have 42 tanks totaling nearly 6000L, 3 inside (1200L, 700L and 550L) as display tanks and the rest in a well insulated room in the garage. I had a central filter running a 350W pump, 200W of lighting and 800W of heating in the fishroom. There was also a continuous 150L/day waterchange going on. Inside, 30% water changes once a week. All these tanks with just me on my own meant a $225 - $250 power bill (and I had 2 computers running 24/7 as well).

Some of the power bills mentioned indicate a lot of waste going on. I felt guilty using the power I did back then...

We are a family of 2 adults and toddler, running 5x 26Deg tanks.. We have a lot of our office comps and equip on for long hours so I think thats where our greatest usage is (oh and the lovely showers hehe).

Our last power bill was $260 and it doesn't increase much for winter, we have super insulation and positioning for maximum sun exposure.

The increase in power bills comes more from them ramping up the prices rather than us using more electricity :-?

If your power bill is really that high I would be having it checked - uless some of your tanks are marines and running metal halides or something equally power hungry. We used to have 18 tanks running here (no double glazing and fancy stuff anywhere) and our power bill was never anywhere near that. Do you run underfloor heating?

we have under tile heating but that uses ALOT of power about an extra $200 a month so we stop using it

i just think its just all my tanks, 2000+ltrs of water at 28-29deg then i do huge water changes all the time