know of anyone who breeds any type of tortoise??!

fishy_t

Hey guy's,

Does anyone know of any species being bred in nz?

There are some a welly zoo now, and there was that one in aucks recently - what is available here?

I've always had a thing for them, I've got a friend who's got one in the UK who is awesome! He wanders round the garden in the summer muching on things, they have a wee fence round the fish pond so he can't fall in!! :P

Any info about whats around would be great,

I'm not sure where Auckland's original leopard tortoise came from, but the other one to make up the breeding pair was donated to them by a lady down in Dunedin (I think) who had had it as a pet for many many decades.

The tortoises in NZ are the Galapagos at Auckland (unavailable to private persons obviously), leopard, Hermann's, and spur-thighed (Greek). There used to be red-footed around (and maybe yellow-footed?) but I'm not sure of their current situation. There are also American box turtles which aren't tortoises but do live mainly on land.

Anyone able to add any others?

the texas were actually bred at the auckland zoo(males)most of the stuff up there has been confiscated and did not fit into the zoos `plans` so were rehomed up there,even the female leopards come to the zoo by that means but the male was owned by the lady from dunedin

Where is reptile park????

bulldogod, up near Warkworth, wait a couple of months for it to warm up and everything is out, i'll be going up in November if you want a free ride, it would be good to go up with others of the same ilk, normally take the family but they're not too interested, let me know if your keen.

I made the mistake of going up last winter, wondered why not much out....doh