From tap to tank

dangdang

We use gas heating for out hot water, so not from a hot water cylinder. I have hooked up a garden hose to both hot and cold water so that the temperature can be adjust to the same (or near to) as the tank water. I feed the water straight from tap to the tank this way. A lot of air bubbles come out of the hose this way. No messy drips. No spillage. can sit back for a coffee while the tank fills up.

Actually a cold shower is good for people...No seriously-turn it to cold for a few seconds when you're in there and then back to hot, gets the circulatory system pumping for the day! :lol:

But yea not sure if I'd like it forced on me lol. I always add some warm water to my W/C water just to bring it up to approximate temp

Ever wonder why people's fish always come up with white spot, flukes, stop eating........ If only fish could talk :evil:

I'm sure you're happy having a cold shower yourself.

ron

Ill let you know when i have problems

Been doing it for years with no diseases at all. Iv olny had one fish die on me, a guppy(doesnt inc the feeders)

As some on said (Carl?) its just like a fish diving to the deeper waters, not all the water is the same temp

No need to remove the chl here in chch. Lucky like that. But did have an exciting day today though. When came time to turn off the water, i accidently turned the valve the other way. therefore hose rockets to ceiling leaving a huge wet mess. Note to self : mark which way to turn for Off.

yea i run my water through one of those benchtop water filters, and straight in, usually change 40-50% at a time. i refill over about half an hour, and only usually get a temp drop of 4-5deg, which the fish seem to like as they all swim around where the cold water comes in. quite often triggers a spawn too.

have been using this method for ages with no disease.

I've done large water changes (30-50%) for years on all my big tanks and never had a problem from it. I've never had the temp drop by more than about 4-5C, and the heater is in the sump so it doesn't even start warming the water until I've finished filling and its turned back on. I run two heaters in the sump, one 300W and another 200W (maybe 250, cant remember) that is set to about 1C lower so it only comes on after a water change when the temp has dropped by a few degrees.

I've kept a whole range of fish like this, from small community types to arowanas and large cichlids, plenty of clown loaches which always seem to thrive.

Ira I'd imagine Hans' water in taupo is probably colders than yours in upper hutt during winter.

• 4 months later...