Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

tHEcONCH's Red Sea Max

Featured Replies

  • Replies 1.1k
  • Views 271.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Author

Seems fine - I've poked the wee piece of rock into a hole, and the Xenia is inflated, upright, and has reasonable colour all considered. It hasn't started pulsing yet, but everything seems good so far - did you get your one attached OK?

Checked out that site Conch & looked at a few of the other RSM's, yours is definately the best looking of all the ones I looked at. thumbsup-1.gif

Good to CHCH on there! I think we will post on there eventually - I contacted them a while ago when I first stumbled across the site myself, but I really want to wait until I'm happy with the tank! At least we actually have a camera now so can take some photos!

I think what I like about the site is reading the modifications others have done, and checking out the basic aquascaping to see how people cope with the small space (some are much better than others of course). Also surprised to see how many have the chiller - even taking into consideration the different climates they come from. Must really add to the running costs.

  • Author
hey bro, hows the anemone and clam going???

Cheers ru

Yep, both seem fine - I've been feeding the Anemone plenty of shrimp with vitamins etc, and it seems to be well inflated and happy - not that I'm an expert!

  • Author
Good to CHCH on there! I think we will post on there eventually - I contacted them a while ago when I first stumbled across the site myself, but I really want to wait until I'm happy with the tank! At least we actually have a camera now so can take some photos!

I think what I like about the site is reading the modifications others have done, and checking out the basic aquascaping to see how people cope with the small space (some are much better than others of course). Also surprised to see how many have the chiller - even taking into consideration the different climates they come from. Must really add to the running costs.

When I priced one up, plus the pump, extra tubing, and considering they release the heat back into the room, I reckon it would actually be cheaper and more effective to install an inverter heat pump into the room and set it to 'cool'.

I agree about the cost of the chiller. We're having some issue keeping the temp down in the heat we've been having but have found leaving a fan on pointed at the glass is helping when we're out. The plan is to get a heat pump with a cooling function in the future anyway so once that happens things will be fine. How's the temp in your tank now cONCH?

  • Author

Better - although it moves around more than I would like - with the fan set on 'Tornado' it will keep the tank below 28 degrees, even on a hot day, but it generally hovers around 26.5 - 27.0. I have to top up the water pretty regularly, though.

I agree about the cost of the chiller. We're having some issue keeping the temp down in the heat we've been having but have found leaving a fan on pointed at the glass is helping when we're out. The plan is to get a heat pump with a cooling function in the future anyway so once that happens things will be fine. How's the temp in your tank now cONCH?

Point it at the surface of the water. It will increase evaporation and you will get a lot more cooling.

Point it at the surface of the water. It will increase evaporation and you will get a lot more cooling.

isnt evaporation bad

  • Author

isnt evaporation bad

Its how the heat is converted, so its a matter of balancing it out - I top up my tank every morning and evening to help keep the salinity as consistent as possible, but evaporation isn't as dangerous as overheating.

isnt evaporation bad

The only bad thing about evaporation is having to replace it, but as long as it's done with good pure water there is no problem.

Most marine tanks lose a decent amount of water to evaporation, my tank is only 200 litres but in the winter it looses about 2 litres a day and double that in the summer. Reasonable evaporation is an indicator that a good amount of gas exchange is happening at the water surface which is a good thing, to flush excess Co2 at night plus remove nitrogen gas as a bi product of the nitrogen cycle.

I've looked at a couple of gizmos, but the good 'ol jug-o-water does the trick for now :lol:

You mean the Jugowater 2000 system?!!!

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.