August 22, 200719 yr comment_179130 Brazilian scientists have described a new species of seasonal killifish from the swamps of the upper São Francisco River drainage in central Brazil. The new species, named Simpsonichthys punctulatus after the rows of blue dots on the flanks of the males (from the Latin punctum, meaning a small spot), is described in a paper by Wilson Costa and Gilberto Brasil published in the latest issue of the journal Vertebrate Zoology. More: http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/p ... ?news=1334 Report
August 22, 200719 yr comment_179151 Yes I have Alan, plus I am a Simpson 8) As I am not a male, I did not have blue spots on my flanks though Report
August 23, 200719 yr comment_179169 Grant does thorough checks regularly. I believe the last time was last night in the shower Report
August 23, 200719 yr comment_179171 Shouldn't you be checking him for spots? Didn't know youse were peat spawners as well!! Report
August 23, 200719 yr comment_179181 I assure you I do check him for spots as well zev. And are you implying my shower isn't as clean as it might be? I know I don't do housework if I can possibly avoid it but I have been known to clean the bathroom on occasion :lol: I Googled for a pic of the fish and it is a nice looking specimen. Report
August 23, 200719 yr comment_179193 http://globiz.sachsen.de/snsd/publikati ... _57-61.pdf Beware... it's a PDF, may take a while to load.... Report
August 23, 200719 yr comment_179198 can we get any of the south american killifish in nz? Like what? Report
August 23, 200719 yr comment_179199 Any south american ones lol. like the ones on these sites. http://www.killi.co.uk/SAmericanNonAnnuals.php http://www.killi.co.uk/SAmericanAnnuals.php Report
August 23, 200719 yr comment_179203 you can get nigripinnis but they arent very common. join the NZKA if you are after rarer killis as you dont realy know who has what.... Chances are low though Report
August 23, 200719 yr comment_179207 the answer is yes at leaset one spiece is around but they normally only go to breeders Report
August 23, 200719 yr Author comment_179237 Any south american ones lol. like the ones on these sites. http://www.killi.co.uk/SAmericanNonAnnuals.php http://www.killi.co.uk/SAmericanAnnuals.php Who wants annuals when you can have perennials? Report
August 23, 200719 yr comment_179245 WHat does all the annual, perennial etc mean?I know nothing about killies.:oops: Report
August 23, 200719 yr comment_179248 Annual killies are the ones that live for a short period of time, and during that time breed hard out into the substrate (in an aquarium they are bred in peat) before the dry season comes and the lakes dry out and all the fish die, but when it rains again in a few months time all the eggs in the peat hatch, and grow, then the cycle starts again.... Non-annuals live like your average fish, and they will breed and their eggs will hatch within 10-14 days. then theres semi-annuals, and as carla said perennials, which im not too sure on :lol: Report
August 23, 200719 yr Author comment_179251 Flagfish are supposedly annuals. Mine however live since years. The boy is HUGE now, looks like a cichlid and behaves like one too most of the time. I will soon class him as a "perennial" Report
August 23, 200719 yr comment_179253 So if i wanted some killies for a comm tank that would live for a while i would want to get non-annuals? Report
August 23, 200719 yr comment_179255 Correct. annuals do live for a fair amount of time, but they are called annuals because in the wild they are annual, as the drought kills them all.... Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.