what lessons have you learnt the hard way?

shadowfax

my latest is,

even if the fish food packet is sealed your cat will just eat through the plastic to get at it. dont be lazy, put it back in the cupboard!

Lol

Never underestimate how many shrimp pellets your cat can get out of the container with her paws and stuff in her mouth in the short time it takes for you to put the container down on the table, turn around and feed the pellets to your fish, and turn around again to put the lid back on....

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few of my pearls of wisdom...

1. Baby clown knives are CUTE, and get along with just about anything.

2. Clown knives are like puppies, they grow as fast as you feed em.

3. A 30cm Clown knife WILL try to eat a shoal of 15cm tinfoil barbs.

4. DONT leave your 2 yo in charge of the siphon when you have to get another beer.

5. Cyno is a real bugger.

6. Some fish really dont appreciate a 40 watt UV lamp switched on above them at random.

7. Golden Apple Snails will not just NIBBLE THE LEAVES A LITTLE, they are excellent at deforestation.

8. ^^^ Dont believe the guy in the petshop, do your own research!

9. There's a reason that cute little Fang's puffer is in a tank on his own.

Air hoses will siphon water out of your tank if disconnected from the air pump

yep, learned that one too :oops:

-read, read, and read as much as you can on fishkeeping and on different fishies you are interested in because the people selling them DO NOT know everything

- keeping in with the one above...do this BEFORE you buy that tank

- no such thing as because I'm new to this hobby "I only need a small tank"

- the importance of joining a fish forum and learning from those with experience

-just because fishies are "supposed" to be compatable - doesn't mean they are!

A few from me...

1) Even though that earthquake was only a tremor you should still check that the air hose connected to the pump on your display tank has not fallen so that it is hanging down the back of the tank (siphon)

2) When going away (even only for a few days) HIDE ALL FISHFOOD FROM FLATMATE even if you have put post-it notes on every tank saying “Please don’t feed me, I already have a feeding blockâ€

3) If you need to walk away from a bucket/container that you have put fish into cover the top if it with a towel, large book etc. Swordtails CAN jump out of a bucket in only 4cm of water… they WILL end up under the couch… your partner WILL nearly step on them when you scream and they come running.

seems obvious but dont drop your tank! It will shatter and glass will go through all the stones, which basically means either spending ages picking all the bits of lil glass out (and glass cuts are not pleasant) or throwing the stones away. Plus it can be expensive to fix and if there is even the smallest amount of water in the bottom of the tank it will seem to spread everywhere!

Did this last nite, am sooo gutted!! :x Luckily there were no fish in it, hadn't even had a chance to set up (this is what i was in the process of doing!!). Also was very lucky it wasn't the curved side of the tank but the flat side so will be cheaper to get fixed **fingers crossed**

Ok, I am tight. I decided to plant up my new 180L tank, but decided to skimp on the expense and make my own CO2 generator. Woops!

Tip for anyone else planning to follow in my footsteps.

Don't overfill your bottle. If the foam from the reaction gets into your tank, the water goes very cloudy and the Ph plummets.

I was lucky, I caught mine at a Ph of 6.6.

However, I can say that home made CO2 generators do work. Surprisingly well, in fact.

ok took 400 odd litres out of my big tank the other day and needless to say it was one of those 'pressed for time' days so I grabbed one end of the fill hose, went to the kitchen and attached it to the tap, turned it on and did other things while waiting for the tank to fill (got the fill time downpacked). Went back to the tank to take hose out only to discover I'd never put the hose in :o What can I say...lucky we've got a concrete floor..just recently laid down the carpet too :cry: