Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

How often do you clean your filter sponge

Featured Replies

Hey, I'm just wondering how often people clean out their filters.

I was advised not to do it too often as it gets rid of the bacteria in the filter, but I find that my filter gets clogged up with a slimy brown gunk pretty quick (2 weeks) shortly after it does't really have the guts to suck water through because the pads are full said brown gunk (4 weeks).

BTW it is a Fluval 4 i think.

I usually rinse mine out each week when I do water changes. But I just give them a quick rinse in the bucket of old tank water to get rid of the worst of the gunge. That way most of the bacteria survive and you dont kill off the cycle.

Cheers

Ian

Don't change unless you absolutely have to, even when you do have to, it might be a good idea to cut a piece of the old sponge off and place it with the new sponge, this way you still have some of the bacteria.

Rinse your sponge in the water from your tank, this way you won't lose as much bacteria as when you rinse it in normal tap water.

Hope this helps.

Canister filter, I will rinse when I wash my filter which is around once every 9 - 12 months

HOB filters.... fortnightly

  • Author

Cool cheers guys. I have been washing the sponges in the tap until now, but when I do I don't do a gravel vac. The reasoning behind that was that if I'm flushing out the bacteria in the filter, I'm not sucking out the bacteria from the gravel.

But will do a rinse out in the tank water. Do you find that the gunk just makes a mess in the tank though?

They work best when they are 3/4 full of gunge

true - dont try and get them really clean, just scrape / rinse out the worst and bung them back in.

Cheers

Ian

I couldnt put a time frame on cleaning my filters if i tried.... i dont do them regularly, just when i feel i need too.... When they become quite decreased in flow, i usually give them a clean and they go for another couple months :)

I just give them all a rinse and a squeeze in the bucket of tank water I siphon out before pouring the water into my pots plants. Great liquid fertiliser! Tank seems very happy with a change and rinse each week.

The only time you clean your filter is when the return flow of water has lessened significantly.

My Jebo 819 got cleaned recently - for the first time in 12 months. My son is about to clean his and it has been running 14 months.

I agree with Caryl. Also, rather than rinsing it clean in water from the tank I just rinse off enough to get the flow going again. As I said earlier they work best when 3/4 gunked up.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.