Long, funky and what the...?

Loopy

surely they have a list of species they are going to check all it takes is some time to do some internet research or MAF buying some decent books on fish, so they know what their looking at

some people just do a job for the payslip at the end of the week

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will let the forum know about the identity of the eels when I know results.

Ideally MaF should have knowledgeable fish "advisors" with them when inspecting imports, because they can't be expected to know which fish are which when they aren't familiar with tropical species, and it takes years of experience to gain the skills necessary.

Finally, good to see that so many people out there care about this situation, and that many shops are choosing to either not buy the eels, or not sell the ones they have until the matter is resolved. Good job and well done to all.

Oh dear! :oops:

now Ministry of Agriculture and Farming),

Umm it is "Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry"

:oops:

I agree it is good to hear about these responsible store who are not selling the eels anymore. And i also agree that it is great to hear everyone voice their concerns about matters like this.

I think the problem originates upstairs. When I imported goldfish I had 7 inspections in 6 weeks and each time it was 2 inspectors and different ones each time so we had to go through the same issues each week. I haven't been involved with them of late but a few years ago there was a couple of guys who were interestd in fish and tried to learn about it a bit. As they got to know a bit they were transfered to different duties as it was felt they were getting too familiar with the importers. Hopefully things have changed--- but I doubt it.

short answer "no"

Who else thinks that just cause these fish slipped trough the MAF net, doesn't mean its OK to keep them?!

I don't want to rock the boat but its not like they are just some kind of killie or african cichlid that wouldn't have a hope in hell of surviving in the wild...

How we delt with these fish is a bit of a story. People are more than likely going to take a grudge against us but my wife and I think of ourselves as responsible hobby aquarists with New Zealand biosecurity on our priority list.

When the fish arrived home it was noticed that they were not kuhlies. Time taken is shown when this thread was started.

We contacted MAF as soon as it was realised there was a possibility they were imported eels. MAF came down here on Wednesday and euthanised (sp) them with a product they supplied. It is a clove based product with aqua in the name (possibly aqua-1). They have taken the three little critters up north to an eel expert (possibly at Te Papa) for formal identification. We are in contact with MAF about these and should know as soon as they do as to what species and if they are native or not.

Mr Loopy

Well done Mr and Mrs Loopy. If, as fishkeepers, we act responsibly like you have done, perhaps MAF will see us as partners rather than the enemy in the fight to keep NZ bio-secure!

And, seeing they are a govt dept and run by rules and regulations - perhaps not!

I thought i would look for The "glass kuhlis" and couldnt find them under rocks wood plants .etc. Ripped my tank apart and put my finger through the gravel and there was no sign of them. So i did a waterchange and remembered that i lost a kuhli loach once when it got stuck in it the internal filter as it is buried about an inch into the gravel so the intake slots are at the same level as the gravel and when i got it open there was all three of them(dead). I was thinking bout puting netting over the intake a few day ago but forgot. :oops:

At this stage I can't really comment as to what to do with them.

My suggestion is keep an eye on them and this thread. If they are imported eels they could grow a few feet long. If they are native then they shouldn't have been sold as such.

EVERY ONE WITH THESE CRITTERS MAKE SURE THEY DON"T REACH THE WATERWAYS AND WHEN INFORMED AS TO WHAT THEY ARE AND WHERE THEY CAME FROM DO THE RIGHT THING

Mr L

People in NZ.

Please look for these fish in the shops and if seen put them onto this thread. They all have a responsibility in this situation and I hope they put them in the back room untill this is resolved.

We will keep you all up to date as we hear things.

Mr L