well lets see some real reef tanks

reef

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its kind of temporary

just moved from a four footer into two seperate tanks (one three foot and this little tank which is kindof experimental)

we put down a substrate of white argonite in the three(is that how you spell it?)

but i didnt have time to do anything in the little one

and i am still thinking of crushing up some live rock into little chunks and having a rubble bed covered in mushrooms

Barebottom is an up and coming trend in some circles in the States (if RC is anything to go by). Personally I don't like it. A thin layer of substrate is good.

Many of the guys promoting barebottom tanks have come from having deep sand beds, which turned nasty. So they are going from one extreme to the other. I'll take the middle ground.

Layton

from what i've seen the only bare bottom ive liked was a fowlr and the bottom looked like it was vacuumed every day

but i think i will end up with the rubble bottom coverd in shrooms

(it will make it easy to get frags as well for when i get my big tank up and going again)

there is nothing new about bare bottom tanks. The 'berlin' method of reefkeeping is bare bottomed.

If you read RC you will notice that 1-2 tanks featured a year have no substrate. Its cleaner.

Personally I like the look of the sand, but it is generally regarded as a trap for 'poo'.

Pies

• 2 weeks later...

the live stock doesnt cost too much becuase you put less in than you would put in a freshwater tank, (fish that is)

the corals can get expensive but you dont go out and buy it all at once

major expenses in a new setup

tank and plumbing

*lights*

skimmer (if your using one)

water movement thingies (depends on what you want as to how much youre going to pay)

rocks

water :D

then there are all the gadgets that other people have like dosing systems auto topoffs and controllers