Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
We’ve recently updated Aquarium World! We’re working through a few bugs, with exciting new features on the way. Thanks for your patience while we fine-tune the site.

What do I feed BNs?

Featured Replies

Got my first BN today, and just realized, what do I feed after the algae in my tank is all eaten up? Will half a slice of cucumber or a little lettuce be enough for him? Hes about nearly 2 inches.

dont leave any veges in the tank for more than 24hours (same goes with sinking foods)

trying blending up some peas and cucumber etc and freezing it and then attach to the bottom of the tank

wood is an important part of their diet so iff you don't have any in your tank make sure to feed JBL pleco chips at least once a week as the JBL ones have wood fibers in them.

I feed pleco chips and courgette - I stick a couple of toothpicks into it and wedge them into the stones and substrate. Seems to work okay. Mine also eat the fighter pellets and flakes I feed as well.

  • Author

Thanks for the tips, will head out and buy some tomorrow. My tank has a 2f long driftwood in it, and since s/he is the only one in there, I did assume he would have enough to eat.

Now the hard part is finding him. I've looked everywhere and he seems to have dissappeared. Hm.

Mine don't get any commercial food, just courgette, which I replace every day even if there's some left. They also love peas (squeeze the shell off). I have noticed that they do eat any frozen bloodworm or tropical flake that falls to the bottom. Even if your tank does have algae, it is a good idea to supplement their diet anyway.

And also if you give them too many fancy treats, they can become lazy and algae will become your problem instead of the bristles job :wink: :lol: :lol: :D

  • Author

So how about I feed him (and future thems) a slice of cucumber every second day? Would that be acceptable? And flakes are my bane, everytime I feed flakes my other fish dont eat the ones that fall to the ground. At least I know my BN will eat it.

  • Author

I'll try not to spoil s/he.

When does a BN usually develop its bristles? Mines about .. 4-5 cm ish, and have no bristles at all.

Also, where could I get some gravel in Chch? The only ones I've seen are quite expensive from Bunnings.

All the lfs have gravel in varying colours. I like the dark brown one myself and it is cheaper to buy in bulk but I would have thought a place like Bunnings would be way cheaper.

Your BN should be developing bristles at about that size and if it doesn't - congratulations, it's a girl! :D

something else they might enjoy is PRAWNS

Yes i go to the supermarket and buy 1 cooked or raw prawn, cut it into 5 and then hang a piece in the middle of the tank, this is for the guppies. Seems i neglected to tell my adult male BN as he gets onto it and swings it from side to side and fights the guppies for the territory. Really is quite a laugh to watch. On the other hand, my 4 young fry show no interest in the prawn whatsoever

  • Author

Cool a girl! How big do they be before they start breeding? Perhaps I'll just feed her twice a day for a few weeks before buying a male.

As for the prawns idea, I never knew BNs were carnivors. I thought they just ate veggies. Heck I never knew guppies ate prawns as well.

I never knew BN ate the prawns either hence when he first ate it when it was on the floor, i moved it to mid tank.

Will try and get a video (using a digital stills camera) if you want

  • Author

I put a piece of cucumber for her today in the tank. I stabbed a toothpick through it and onto the driftwood. Waiting for results now.

Also, I went to the petstore to get a price quote on some gravel. For a bag of I think 10kg they quoted me $60. Then I went to a gardening center and bought a bag of slightly bigger gravel for $10. 8)

Just to double check, how do I test if the gravel is suitable? Something to do with vinegar was it?

What do you mean by test if the gravel is suitable? I buy mine from the garden centre but you have to wash, wash & wash again until it is clean.

  • Author

That I know is a must, but I was told some stones are harder/softer than others, so before you put them in the tank you gotta put some vinegar on it and something happens. I dunno if I should test for that or not.

okay, asked my husband, a science teacher. Apparently if the stones are from sedimentary rock and you pour vinegar on them they will fizz. He thinks they will probably break down in water. (Didn't tell me that though!!)

Mine love Aquarian Algae Chips. I also feed them Courgette slices and sometimes Cucumber slices. I find that Cucumber clouds the water alot faster than Courgette.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.