a killi update

meesheelly

Some of us use the Hauraki Peat but it it fairly rough tho, sticks and stones.

Found out about them when I put it thru the kitchen whizz.

I have foud some peat discs at the garden centre, compacted and dried and in a fine net, so that when immersed in water, it absorbs water and swells to about 50mm by 30mm circumference.

Almost fine enough to go thru a sieve and leave the eggs behind.

If you find these discs, make sure that they have no fert. additions.

I get my peat from the petshop and it is in little compressed balls--expensive but you don't need much. I collect and spawn the fish in rainwater and boil up some with the peat in a fine bag and add that to the tank. Add mops if required or fine sand as required and you don't get a mess,just eggs. They have the peat broken down into small bags for about $8.00 I think. It is high quality european stuff which I have also put through the coffee grinder with success. You need to boil it to stop it floating (keep the water.)

I collect and spawn the fish in rainwater and boil up some with the peat in a fine bag and add that to the tank.

Seriously? You spawn the fish in rainwater and boil up some with the peat and add that to the tank??? Why on earth do you boil some of the fish???