a killi update

meesheelly

Hi everybody

My killis are now in a species tank, as i have changed the community tank they were in to an amazon tank.

I had my worst killi week last week - i lost my female dageti (no idea how) and my male gold gardeni (a suicide). So i need to replace them.

However this week i added a bit of driftwood (for the 2 bristlenoses in there also) and it has leeched a bit of tannin into the water. I dont know if it is just a coincidence but the killis are loving it, they are the most active and happy i have seen.

Also my male notho. korthausae has been trying to 'squish' his mate into the gravel... I take it that he is trying to brred with her?

What should i do for them?

Thanks in advance!!!!

Remove the gravel and give them a small pottle with about a 25mm of peat in it.

A margie container is fine, with the lid on and a 35mm hole, or there abouts cut in the lid.

Some ppl leave the gravel, then when they syphon the base, it is done thru a fine net or sieve to catch the eggs.

Once you have the eggs, that is another story.

How come the killi commited suicide?? If it jumped, it was IMO murder, there are so many statements in the killie threads about having tanks covered and gaps around the lid and pumps etc blocked. They aren't there as something to fill in space on the forums.

I have no idea how he got out, i have a good fitting glass lid.

The only thing i can think of is that he jumped out and over the side while i was doing a water change and i didnt notice he was missing until later that night. :cry:

Would it be better to put the nothos in their own tank? I have one spare at the moment.

Little corner box filter will be fine.

As for the escaping during feeding or water changing; it happens to all (EDIT MOST) of us.

Get into the habit of seeing how they are enjoying their meal or water change and get a count, after you have put the lid down.

Easy to do when you just have a few.

meesheelly if your notho male is pressing the female to the gravel they are not trying anything -- They ARE spawning.

I used gravel when spawning my notho's.

What I did when collecting the eggs what siphon the top of the gravel ( at no stage did the siphon dig into the gravel just across the top) and run the water through a net sitting on a bucket.

You will get a little muck with the eggs so what I did to get rid of the muck was stir up the water containing the eggs ( say a 500ml container ) and you should find the eggs fall to the bottom first then I poored off the water and muck.

It took 2 or 3 goes at this untill I was left with pure eggs I hen added them to the peat that was in the tank ( as Alan has explained ).

Here is a pick of what you may find in your gravel

RIMG1325Medium.jpg

The black bits are peat.

Remove the gravel and give them a small pottle with about a 25mm of peat in it.

A margie container is fine, with the lid on and a 35mm hole, or there abouts cut in the lid.

How do you get the container to sink? I've tried using a couple of small plastic containers with holes in the lid and peat at the bottom but they float. Should I weigh it down with gravel at the bottom or a sinker or something?

Hi I have replacements for all of the above. 15 species in total :-)

Cheers

Tim

Hi Tim

The 3 types i got off you are all doing well and lots of young , could you send me a list of all the species you have /for sale so i can do some homework and maybe buy some more from you :) thanks