caught red handed with plants

Joze

Henry smuggled plants into NZ to try better the hobby, surely..

Well I would love to say it a bit plainer but the guidlines say that you have to consider what a 14 year old would think... so....

evil, I think you are wrong, ( thats being nice!) the person concerned was out to make $$, if he was in it for the betterment of the hobby he would have tried to import the plants legally!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

after all the response the person concerned hasnt replyed yet or maybe they have i do feel sorry for ALL the trusting people out there that did buy and now they may have lost all or r tearing their tanks apart because of it and how does one know before buying maybe we can use this to help others to learn whats illegal and whats not as i would have no idea and when buying plants i offen use topica maybe someone can offer a site just for nz heres hoping

I know i said i wouldnt reply again but i need to say one more thing. I believe he was trying to better the hobby, it doesnt phase me what other people say if they disagree with me. I was told by a Person on these forums (I wont say any names but this person is pretty high up in the ranks in the FNZAS) That it was he/she who smuggled Tiger Lotus into NZ. I dont know if he/she was the person who established it into NZ, but i do know that he/she told me that. He/she didnt get caught, and now the hobby is better because of that person.

I think what i think, others think what they think, everyone thinks diferently, fair enough, i understand that, some people dont, but need to.

IMO this thread should be deleted, i dont think we should realy discuss a forum member here should we? how would you like it if it was you?

I am sure he wouldn't be the first one to have done this. Maybe just the first one to be caught.

Does anyone else find it strange that he has had the plants since last year?

Two airmail parcels addressed to Tan were intercepted at the Auckland International Mail Centre in April and September last year

Took them a while to catch on

Wow I'm shocked. I had been there and seen the whole set up, so I know what they mean in the article about lighting and particularly CO2 lol, tubes were running all around the roof and room on multiple regulators. Didn't get any plants myself for the record.

I must say I'm gutted when I hear any type of fish has died for avoidable reasons, and it is especially saddening that they were an innocent party to the whole thing. Surely MAF in it's infinite wisdom could've held them in a quarantine facility by themselves till they were cleared. But I suppose it's better to be safe than sorry..... :-?

I see what you're saying evil, but in all reality, he's jeopardised our hobby in New Zealand, not made it better. The 'what if' is the way MAF seems to work. What if Tiger Lotus' got in to NZ waterways and became a pest?

Sad unexpected story.

You are right that we should not discuss individuals on this thread but a little misguided in my opinion. The point of principle is the fact

that the law was broken,people were misled and hobbies put at risk and all for a few extra dollars. No doubt justice will be done and hopefully the dust will settle and the gentleman concerned will get down to the business of bettering the hobby in a ligitimate manner.As for the individual who claims to have smuggled tiger lotus into NZ he/she should feel ashamed of themselves for doing so, if it is true the only difference is they did not get caught or maybe the import laws have changed.

If you feel strongly about bettering the hobby (which I firmly believe you do)why not start a fund backed by the FNZAS of course and I for one would donate 50$ to kick it off. Maybe if enough people backed it we could do research and who knows we may end up with more choices.

Hi All,

i just read all these comments this morning. i have no words to said but to say that i am sorry. i am a hobbyist like anyone who is selling enough to cover this expensive hobbyist.

i am not allow to said anything before the court proceeding is over.

my only excuse is that i am ignorant thinking that if it is acceptable in other countries, it should do no harm to NZ. i have no intention of harming anyone and i totally respect the law in NZ.

i am also not aware of the serverelity of plant laws in NZ.

i can also understand if i am no longer welcome in this forum.

thanks to all.

Henry

Nobody has said you are no longer welcome in this forum Henry. Your help and advice has been appreciated and we hope you continue to contribute to questions.

We all do wrong sometimes, you have been caught and will be punished for it. End of story.

I hope this doesn't mean you give up plants altogether.

Definately, good on you for speaking up,

Agree with a post a while back feel sorry for all of you involved but the rules are there for a good reason we are lucky that we live in such a unique and isolated place, hence the rules which although stoopid alot of the time have protected may of our native sp.

Good luck and i hope they go easy

Thanks for your posts Henry.

It does make a difference,to me at least, to see that you have apologised for any inconvenience caused to others.

As Caryl said,and I agree,it would be unfortunate to loose your knowledege of plant care etc from this forum.

I trust that the experience you are going through will not carry a sentence which outweighs the crime either financially or emotionally.

I wish you well and look forward to your continued involvment with this hobby and this forum.

Yeah, good on you for apologising. As you've not stepped outside the FNZAS guidelines you're completely welcome here. You've been very helpful to many people and supplied many legal items to members of this site.

However, let this be a remainder to everyone to check before you do anything you are not 100% sure about. Fishing is a prime example; It's up to you to check if your license is valid, you are catching the correct size and quantity of fish. The authorities do not accept "I didn't know". It is your responsibility to know...

Same goes for fish keeping, make sure you are allowed to keep that fish or plant. Just because you can get it doesn't mean you're allowed to have it. Also make sure you're using the correct process to import animals. It's not impossible to do, just a lot of red tape and high cost, - nothing too bad that doesn't make most of us completely give up before we even get started (excuse the sarcasm). 8)

I think it takes alot of courage to come here and appoligize. I, myself, had thought about buying some plants, never did but I know I would be livid if all my plants, fish and equipment were damaged or destroyed because someone else decided to overstep the law.

I think that anyone who knowingly imports ilegal goods and sells them should be held responsible for the financial costs of the containment as well as replacement of other things that are destroyed or damaged in the cleanup. I would hope that anyone who has thought of or is thinking of subverting the law in this manor would now consider not only the consiquences that they themselves would face but what they would put upon unsuspecting and trusting individuals.

And that's my 2c

Plants can be imported and are.

A lot of plants that we did not have here are now imported from TROPICA.

There use to be an NZKA member that imported plants who had a Q-shed the same size of a backyard shed, but the treatment for nasties on them killed a lot of plants before they came out of Q.

So when his wife developed cancer, he threw in the importing.

Since then, I think he is back into it again, although I haven't seen his new Q area.

Apparently he imports, and supplies one of the big chain LFS's in Auck.

Hi Way Fisheries also import from Tropica too so I'm told.

The treatment for the plants is not so lethal now, so I assume that would be one of the reasons that our plant varieties have improved.

Alan 104

There were three people I know of in Christchurch who used to import but the permitted list was very short. Barclaya, crypts and aponogeton were permitted as I recall. Echinodorus were not permitted and the only ones available then were tenellus, magdalenensis, horizontalis, amazonicus and cordifolius. There are probably three times that now around. The permitted list may have changed. There was a far greater range of crypts available then that seem to have disappeared. I think the plants were treated with alum and particularly crypts didn't like it much.

i have fifty tanks and invested a lot of money in to my hobbie and brought plants from this trader also been to his house most of his plants are now dead thank goodness.

what i love about this story is he is a follower of the high and mighty he is a nz citizen which he agreed with following of our laws and now he has cost us tax payers and fishos more than $$$$$ i would of been more than pissed if bio came and killed my set up

also the thread should not be stopped beacause he has been found guilty and this club is where we find things out and this info we need to know well had my say but what would happen to a nz citizen who did this to singapore it is scary to think well i am of to kill some plants right now i should be able to do this as my fish do it so well some times

With fifty tanks, and the admission on this forum that you have bought plants off Henry, I fear you may have sealed your own fate as far as a Biosecurity visit is concerned.

Therefore the need to go out and kill plants immediately will possibly not save your remaining stocks of plants and fish.

I wish you all the best with your current setup and trust that you will never make a mistake in the future.

Regards

Glenn