caught red handed with plants

Joze

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im not defending what henry did but to be quite honest i think you should not buy something you know nothing about. i will never buy fish or plants if i cant ID it- not only because i want to be able to care for it properly but because i wouldnt want to end up in such a mess because of my own ignorance. i wouldnt buy from someone if they had even one suspect fish/plant in any of their tanks!

steve- im wondering why you are off to kill plants that are legal :-?

When I was visited by biosecurity they were only interested in the one plant I described that had been bought on Trademe. They would be aware of everyone who had bought that plant and I suspect would have had a visit also. When I had none of that plant alive they had no more interest and I have heard no more from them. I have also been contacted by the local Regional Council about what is permitted and not permitted aquatic plant (from selling plants on Trademe). When they were assured that I only had permitted plant I heard no more from them.

• 8 months later...

I was a bit saddened and shocked to hear about the final outcome of the plantman legacy. As it's relevant to the NZ fish keeping scene it's my belief that this should be added to the discussion. If for any reason this is against the forum guidelines I apologize but it's hard to keep up.

http://www.maf.govt.nz/mafnet/press/070612tan.htm

I think it wasn't enough. We are far to often giving people a smack on the hand, you've been a naughty boy. People today do bad things because there are no consequences or don't think they will be enforced. The cost to clean up what has been done is enormous and $25k won't even come close to covering it. At least this is sending a good message and maybe someone else considering doing the same will think twice if they know about it.

I think it wasn't enough. We are far to often giving people a smack on the hand, you've been a naughty boy. People today do bad things because there are no consequences or don't think they will be enforced. The cost to clean up what has been done is enormous and $25k won't even come close to covering it. At least this is sending a good message and maybe someone else considering doing the same will think twice if they know about it.

totally agree wholeheartedly. The punishments for ecological crimes (for want of a better term) are pitiful and are in no way a deterrent to the perpetrators.

The courts can only apply sentences as outlined in the law and the laws vary. This law allows for reasonable punishments-- others are not as severe. I am just gratefull that I managed to kill the plants I bought or they may have destroyed a lot of my other legal and not cheap plants.

Well, I don't know the whole story and can pretty much imagine that he was fairly warned the first time a package was intercepted and then continued to do it anyways. I had a scary visit from MAF where my tanks were examined last May related to this case and hearing that each charge carried a 5 year or $100,000 fine conveyed to me that with 36 charges he would be facing a very very long sentence and massive fines. 9 months and $25,000 is a slap on the wrist compared to what would happen if someone was caught at the airport with plants or fish in their bags entering the country.

In the end this barely made page 3 of any newspaper so no one else will be educated to avoid making the same mistake... unlike the GE danios, which I'm still getting an earful about from anyone that knows I keep fish.

Best of luck with your incarceration, Henry.

The pity is that I think many of the plants we have now were originally smuggled. Plants that were not permitted 25 years ago (Echinodorus sp. for example) are now permitted because they are already here. He made a big mistake, got caught and will pay for it. In my view he will then have paid his debt to us all. The death penalty never stopped murder.