chimera's needs help

Fay

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmmmm, cracker has taken 2 frags of mine this morning. will let him know, wouldnt want to be responsible for ruining his tank too :-? he said he's taken frags of yours before wasp that have been worse than the couple i gave him and they came right.

Yes, can't remember how many but he took some of mine with TN, they recovered fairly quickly but one frag was too far gone & died a few days later.

While bacteria may be the cause it doesn't mean they're ALWAYS the cause there are other things also.

Borneman talks about bacterria infections in SPS. I've seen this myself, infact I have a STAG at the moment thats dieing, going infected in the middle. I am confident I can save it but am curious to see if it will heal itself. So far its lots about 2 inches in the last 4 weeks. Odd as its in the middle of a stalk so is receeding in both directions.

frag it away from the recession. doesnt always work though. most of mine are way gone :( funny how the hydnophora is directly under the halide and is not even phased. the blue coral near it also is still happyish (although no polyps have been out for the last few weeks). a plate acro (now in crackers hands just to be safe) is the same. however two xenia at the bottom of the tank have now completely disintegrated, bits of it floating around the tank. most other lps are still withdrawn but alive. after the large water change, about a 3rd of the green star polyps came out (previously nothing for the last few weeks)

even both bta's are withdrawn, one has bleached tips :-?

janola?? :o

i was kidding dude :P

as of tonight, only 6 acro's survive. 1 hydnophora, 1 poccilipora (at shaneo's), 1 plate acro and possibly 1 green acro (at crackers) and 1 purple frag i got from cookie ages ago and another smaller (new and still brown) acro still in my tank. other than that, all bleached :evil:

oops, just updated the post prior while you posted.

i have taken quite a few acro's out, all dead.

have halides on for 3 hours a day. have actinics on for 5 hours. no progress really, can only really judge progress from lps as they are withdrawn but still alive (makes you wonder - going just a softie and lps tank wouldnt be that bad :D ) i have been taking some photo's, will post at some stage. alot have been taken out and chucked already. others that are dead (eg: about 3-4 at shaneo's) he might have chucked already.

that sucks dude!!!! :(:(

must be heart breaking!

I'm gutted for you. that is all i can say in polite words.........

so do you think the fluidised carbon gets the full blame? i was in one of the lfs yesterday, they have a fluidised reactor that has carbon in it (as well as other media) and it is a red sea product designed for marine. only a very small amount of carbon, approx 1/2 a cup. :o

ahem,... when you run about 750grams of carbon fluidised *cough* i guess i deserve it :oops: but regardless, yes it is a mega downer. funny, i have drunk either beer or vodka every night in the last 3 weeks... must be the summer thing coming up... :lol:

trying to stay positive when losing $1,500+ worth of acro's is difficult to say the least. not really the money though, its seeing the progress of all those acro's doing so well then finally colouring up over a year or more to see it all turn to shit in less than a month is rather depressing. im not one to dwell, but it is arse. gives me a good excuse to rearrange the rock work and start over - at least with the experience i've gained i know what not to do :D

if there's one piece of advice i could offer right now,... keep it simple :D

It could be a combo of the carbon and the lights.

i agree, but i tend to think it is more carbon then the lights, as i don't think the lights would have caused this amount of problems without the carbon "cleaning" (striping) the water.

i guess if your not adding the vodka to the tank then you may as well drink it, wouldn't want it going stale or anything..... :D

Im pretty confident it was the carbon that bleached them.

But how can carbon, by its self, bleach corals. It has to be more than just the carbon.

You could say that if the carbon was added with say 250w lights that it may have not had the same effect. Carbon by its self may have done no damage at all

Lets all remember that there are a number of tanks that have upgraded to 400w lately and most have done extremely well. Too easy to jump on that little bandwagon.

Chimera's problems have resulted due to a number of factors occuring at the same time resulting in the bleaching event.

new lights "fried his corals

Yes that is what happened. There is also the possibility of carbon removing the slim coat from the coral which protects them from harmful UV.

Too much light can also causes too much oxygen uptake for corals which is toxic to them.

Further problems would have be exasperated by doing large water change with NSW as bacteria like vibrio spp. could be the cause of RTN., cant say for sure