chimera's needs help

Fay

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bro I have to see this, do you still have that aqua knead it for me ? I might drop by during the week and take a look

no prob's, i be around most nights i got thurs and fri off so will be looking at doing a 50% water change one of these 2 days.

gutted for you Chimera. You gave me a frag of that beauty.

You can get it back off me anytime your ready. I hope you sort this one out.

thanks mate, appreciate it

Sounds very mysterious, what percentage of your acros are affected?

yeah really odd, only thing i can put it down to was fluidising the carbon, nothing else makes sense. fay and reef had a similar problem from what i recall by using too much carbon.

most lps are closed up, some are out. add another to the list - just took a 2nd look at my pink monti thats going backwards too, very very light coloured pink and heading towards becoming bleached :evil: overall, probably looking at about a 50% loss of acro's, maybe a tad more. there are really only a couple of acro's that dont look effected at all - no real difference in where they are sitting compared to others. however, all acro's are effected in some way or another, either bleached partially, fully or looking as if they are lacking in polyps (eg: when feeding cyclopeeze)

sux

how much carbon are using at the moment?

none

as i have read some forums can bleach acros whith a combination of extensive lighting and carbon use

go figure :D as i said, fay and reef had same problem by using too many kg's. my mistake was putting in a fluidised reactor which has the effect of water having the best contact with the media. hindsight is a wonderful thing.

fay and reef had same problem by using too many kg's. my mistake was putting in a fluidised reactor which has the effect of water having the best contact with the media. hindsight is a wonderful thing.

No our problem was fluidising it too!!

Out of interest <> anyone fluidise their carbon without problems?

every single acro is now dead or dying beyond being able to be saved. the pink poccilipora is perhaps the only thing possible to be saved if i can get it to another tank for holding.

absolutely gutted

i cant actually put it into words. everything is basically gone, even a large staghorn. all lps are completely withdrawn. even xenia are so small they are about 1/5th of their normal size.

:(

from this... 10th Sept...

montiporadigitata-060910.jpg

to this... today...

montiporadigitata-061025.jpg

If all types of corals are effected, I'd dump as much of the water as possible all at once, 100% if possible. Making sure that the replacement water is:

• same or slightly lower salinity than existing.

• same or slightly lower temp than existing.

• pH is similar.

Corals are hardy, they will recover so long as conditions are good. Making sure the water is right is the first part.

Then i'd run halides for 4 hours a day for a few weeks, split into two 2 hour periods a day. This should stimulate zooxanthellae densities to increase.

Those corals don't look dead... just bleached, they can recover.

What bulbs are you using?

Layton

If you need a hand ... me and my trusty 1000 gph bilge pump is available. Pretty small but hey many bilge pumps make the water pump faster.

Not much help on techo front but if you need some grunt help with water collecting I am keen to assist. I am on the peninsula so cant be too far away.

3m high at about 11 am ... bit hard with work an all. Otherwise night time raid is doable.

I have about 300l at home collected before any of this rain that you are welcome too...

If you want pickup during the day.. np I can let you know the secret location :)

chrs

not running rowaphos, or zeo stuff any more either?

nothing.

If you need a hand ... me and my trusty 1000 gph bilge pump is available. Pretty small but hey many bilge pumps make the water pump faster.

Not much help on techo front but if you need some grunt help with water collecting I am keen to assist. I am on the peninsula so cant be too far away.

3m high at about 11 am ... bit hard with work an all. Otherwise night time raid is doable.

I have about 300l at home collected before any of this rain that you are welcome too...

If you want pickup during the day.. np I can let you know the secret location

cheers mate. i was trying to get hold of cracker and borrow his trailer and 1,000 litre container. will have to get water on friday morning, got to take wife in for minor surgery tomorrow morning. didnt realise high tide was so early. will call him tomorrow morning and see - unless you gotta trailer? how do you usually collect? i only got 10 x 20litre buckets which will take too long :(

No sorry, no trailer have station wagon with 2 x 50l containers .. stand upright and fit bilge pipe or pump into top to pump water in then back out. Other than that that another 57 l chilly bin and two 20l cans.

So typically collect 180l per shot in back of station wagon. If any is a help ... even containers let me know.

Other than that you happy with water condition though? Been raining pretty hard yesterday.

Other than that you happy with water condition though? Been raining pretty hard yesterday

no, not happy at all - otherwise i wouldnt be looking at changing all of it :D but yeah - all kh, ca, mg, ph etc are fine. something else is obviously wrong though.