October 31, 200619 yr comment_128506 Yes I'm REALLY careful with potassium dosing, didn't lose anything but had a negative effect ( browning & just not looking right somehow ) when I dosed according to what I saw people saying in a zeo thread. Pretty sure if I continued more serious harm could have resulted. Now I dose it, but at a lower rate than what they do in the US. I think their dose rates are based on people using ASW that is deficient in it, but we are using NSW that already has the right amount, more or less. I'm still convinced of the value of potassium, but in very small doses. So what happened to you may have involved potassium, although if it did, the potassium could not be the only factor, as how you describe what has happened is not the normal symptoms of potassium overdose. IMHO it was other factors, but the potassium may have been there in the mix somewhere, or may not, who knows? Report
October 31, 200619 yr comment_128507 Actually, just had another look at your dose rate - Quote "initial dosing was 1ml per 100 litres for the first 4 days then twice weekly after that". Not a high rate, to me anyway, I would consider that totally safe. It's less than what I'm dosing now. Report
October 31, 200619 yr comment_128514 dose rates are based on people using ASW that is deficient My levels are fine using ASW. red sea salt. Maybe it is because i feed the fish bananas Report
October 31, 200619 yr comment_128519 Potassim. Jeez Chim, didn't you snap at someone the other day because you only make 1 change every 3 months or something... Stop dosing everything and anything. Water, skimmer, food for the fish and animals. Surley adding trace elements and other guff is only going to make things more difficult to resolve. Pie Report
October 31, 200619 yr comment_128527 Chimera if you didn't have a way to test K and you were adding it but not doing water changes - possibly it accumulated? Report
October 31, 200619 yr comment_128538 Chimera if you didn't have a way to test K and you were adding it but not doing water changes - possibly it accumulated? yes. lesson 1, dont add without finding out what you got first dont think that would be solely the issue though. still going down the carbon/light path - simply was escalated by the potassium dosing probably. anyways, damage has been done, no use dwelling over it. love my new sailfin, nice to have SOMETHING that looks good in the tank :lol: time to redo the rockwork and start over. Report
November 1, 200619 yr comment_128548 Interestingly enough that sailfin is an indo one and cleaned my rock tank of bubble algea Report
November 1, 200619 yr comment_128550 hopefully will do the same to my tank... @#$%!!@#$ valonia is a pita Report
November 1, 200619 yr comment_128551 yes. lesson 1, dont add without finding out what you got first dont think that would be solely the issue though. still going down the carbon/light path - simply was escalated by the potassium dosing probably. anyways, damage has been done, no use dwelling over it. love my new sailfin, nice to have SOMETHING that looks good in the tank :lol: time to redo the rockwork and start over. your having problems but adding more fish?? Report
November 1, 200619 yr comment_128552 your having problems but adding more fish?? you obviously have not read this thread very well it's solely a problem with acros, all fish have been, and still are completely fine, swimming, eating, interacting completely normally. if i had any reservations about the issues I've recently had causing problems with the livestock, I wouldn't have even considered it. Report
November 1, 200619 yr comment_128562 you obviously have not read this thread very well it's solely a problem with acros, all fish have been, and still are completely fine, swimming, eating, interacting completely normally. if i had any reservations about the issues I've recently had causing problems with the livestock, I wouldn't have even considered it. Yip i have been reading. Somethings not right though a. So why add more stock to a tank thats not quite right. I thought the problem was with all the corals not just acros??? Report
November 1, 200619 yr comment_128623 Somethings not right though a. So why add more stock to a tank thats not quite right. coz it's a problem that causes issues with corals, not fish. why add more? i am feeding heavily trying to get nitrates up, adding another fish will cause more waste and help towards it too. and anyway, i like the sailfin I thought the problem was with all the corals not just acros??? yes, all (most) corals. ALL acro's are effected, most are dead. most lps are effected, all are alive. Report
November 5, 200619 yr comment_129096 Why should we help him? who said you were part of we? give it up greg, try www.kidsonline.com Report
November 5, 200619 yr comment_129102 Greg I don't recall you ever posting anything aquarium related. Do you have one? And, the offer is still open for me to visit you during my holiday. You can pm me the address, it will be our little secret! Report
November 5, 200619 yr comment_129103 Don't worry Greg - despite his on-line name 'Wasp' is relatively harmless!!! :lol: Report
November 5, 200619 yr comment_129123 Yes go on Greg, do it, do it, do it bet ya five bucks he wont. the word looser comes to mind. then again maybe he used to be known as mandarin or what was the other name that asian kid used? :roll: Report
November 5, 200619 yr comment_129131 yeah a little while ago! back to the thread, another 200 litre water change today (just over 20%) some acro's in the last week that were fine are still slowly bleaching. is bleaching more from stress now as opposed to being nuked by UV? lights are only on for 3hrs a day still. pretty much every acro dead now, even my beautiful pink poc also have a tri-colour i got from pies quite some time ago that also got bleached but has some zoox still holding on. looks like it *may* recover. Report
November 5, 200619 yr comment_129134 even my beautiful pink poc Ouch! When I had my problems I did some big water changes, the immediate effect was to make things worse, I think because the corals were so weakened that any change was hard for them to tolerate. Probably longer term it was good, but not straight away. Report
November 5, 200619 yr comment_129136 thanks wasp, figured as much. all my lps at shaneo's are apparently doing very well. i've up'd the feeding each day HUGE amounts and still not even a trace of nitrates or phosphates. need a colorometer tester to help though! Report
November 5, 200619 yr comment_129146 http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-10/bp/index.php You were doing experiments with the lux meter? Obviously not on the list of your priorities right now but an interesting read. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.