Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

nomad fish

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Reputation Activity

  1. Like
    nomad fish got a reaction from maxxi1 in Will a nz common bully eat adult white cloud minnows?   
    i'd love to see more vids of them online 
  2. Like
    nomad fish reacted to livingart in New Zealand glass shrimp   
    A little light reading LOL
    Activities like pet shops, non-commercial domestic aquaponics, and ponds:
    do not need a fish-farm licence do not need to be registered as a fish farmer. https://www.mpi.govt.nz/fishing-aquaculture/aquaculture-fish-and-shellfish-farming/setting-up-a-land-based-fish-farm/
  3. Like
    nomad fish reacted to liam in New Zealand glass shrimp   
    what is the highest temperature they have been able to withstand inside your aquariums?
  4. Like
    nomad fish reacted to livingart in New Zealand glass shrimp   
    Would still require a permit to sell which willinvolve proof of breeding etc.
     
  5. Like
    nomad fish reacted to Gus in Freshwater Shrimp Paratya curvirostris in Wellington   
    ...and another couple of years another Wellingtonion chases Paratya :) I went to the Silverstream Wier today between 9pm and 11ish pm... Actually there was so much water coming through the river that we couldn't try the actual wier and walked to the left where there's a stream affluent to the river. There were no shrimps there. We went all around the stream and a stationary pool and no shrimp. We found a few white bare, snails, oxygen weed, and some other tiny things. I will go back there when it hasn't rain in a few days to try the wier but before that I'll likely go to Paraparaumu and try the Otararua park suggested above.
  6. Like
    Jumping on for any future readers
    If you're in the Wellington region and desperate, there is a huge amount in Kapiti.
    To be specific, Otaraua Park, from the King Arthur drive entrance. Park up and walk to the river. All along that side, particularly in the rocky areas you'll find them at dusk.
  7. Like
    nomad fish reacted to JLD in Freshwater Shrimp Paratya curvirostris in Wellington   
    Setting up a colder tropical tank, 26 max, nano tank, heavily planted, Any idea where I could find some of these in the Whangarei area? 

    jumping in on this like 9 years too late lol.
  8. Like
    nomad fish reacted to M@. in Freshwater Shrimp Paratya curvirostris in Wellington   
    they must have got one somehow, cause from posts on here, and seeing it myself, they have been selling them for over a year now...
  9. Like
    I just bought some from 'Pet Mart' in ?Melling - near QueensGate shopping centre.
  10. Like
    nomad fish reacted to livingart in New Zealand glass shrimp   
    They are native so can't be sold without a permit but you can collect your own
    Most streams have these and they can be netted by running a net along the water weeds growing along the sides.
     
  11. Like
    nomad fish reacted to TailsnScales in New Zealand glass shrimp   
    I've been thinking about keeping these in a (semi-)dedicated tank next year when I'm back from my holiday. But where would I get them, I haven't seen any for sale online yet?

    If I need to catch them myself, how and where do I do that?
  12. Sad
    nomad fish reacted to Caryl in Public aquarium bursts   
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/europe/300767665/huge-berlin-aquarium-bursts-releasing-veritable-tsunami-of-water-and-1500-fish
  13. Like
    Does anybody know where you can catch Paratya curvirostris in the Wellington area?
    I have some in my aquarium, which I caught in Hawkes bay. They are great at keeping it clean. However I have another aquarium now and wanted to catch some more, but I have moved to Wellington and do not know where they can be found. Can anyone help please?
    Cheers
    Bert
  14. Like
    nomad fish got a reaction from lotsafyre in Bioluminesent Limpet   
    Latia neritoides
    Ease of care: unknown Conservation status: Least Concern the worlds only bio-luminescent and phosphorescent limpet 

  15. Like
    nomad fish reacted to livingart in How to cultivate Copepods in NZ?   
    Hi, there is usually not enough nutrients in the system until is fully cycled and become a stable living environment, then you can add a piece of rock with copepods to the system.
  16. Like
    nomad fish reacted to maxxi1 in Albino Rainbow Shark - Free to a GOOD home   
    What part of NZ? 
  17. Like
    nomad fish reacted to Amanda M in How to cultivate Copepods in NZ?   
    Hi there - thanks for stopping by! This is my first marine tank and I need help.
    I'm currently mid cycle with my nitrites on the way down and lights still off, so I would like to get some copepods and microcrustacians started. The purpose of this is to preemptively help battle the upcoming "ugly" phase, as BRS suggests. I could buy a small zoa colony or something (as suggested by my LFS), but I want to turn lights on very slowly, so this won't do. I could also buy some live rock but I feel like it would introduce more trouble than good. I could "cook" it in the dark for a while but I can't find any live rock for sale.
    I would happily cultivate these critters separately but I can't find a way to start them - what do you experienced reefers suggest? I want to start my lights slowly and get the pods in first without introducing extra complications
    TIA
  18. Like
    nomad fish reacted to samalam in Albino Rainbow Shark - Free to a GOOD home   
    Looking to rehome an adult albino rainbow shark. His name is Fanta! He's relatively shy, and will need a 200L + tank with no other bottom feeders. He loves to hide, and will do best with large, peaceful tank mates. He has been with me for ~6 months. He's been living in a 240L tank. I'm happy to throw in the food I feed him, along with his log ornament! (it's his favourite place to hang out). I am rehoming due to being unable to maintain all of my tanks. I'm very sad about it, so I would love to get updates of how he goes too 
  19. Thanks
    nomad fish reacted to Caryl in Traveling tank   
    The shrimp will be fine and can take 5 - 26C.
    Not sure if you will be able to open this link...
     
  20. Thanks
    nomad fish reacted to livingart in Traveling tank   
    The hardest part is keeping the water in the tank while travelling, i have used clip down lid eskys before with a battery operated pump powering an airstone and a riser pipe to allow airflow back out opf the container, that and screw top buckets has been the most successful.
  21. Like
    nomad fish reacted to Caryl in Spinning X-Ray Tetra   
    Is this the same tank your other sick fish was in?
  22. Like
    nomad fish reacted to Caryl in Traveling tank   
    I Googled car aquarium and got lots of interesting ideas but not quite what you had in mind ?
    The Chinese have produced a car with an aquarium built into a seat rest console.
    I'm sure there is a way to build your idea but, if the idea is to introduce your daughter to nature, I would be inclined to catch stuff to put in a holding tank, wherever you stopped. Find out all you can about what you have found in that location, then let it all go again before you move on.
  23. Thanks
    nomad fish reacted to cesarz in Guppy strains in NZ   
    I have compiled a list of guppy strains in New Zealand. Please feel free to add your strain that is not icluded in the list.
    So far they are:

    Named Strains:
    Green Diamond
    Blue Mossaic
    Full Gold
    Flamingo
    Dragon Head (tuxedo snakeskins)
    Galaxy
    German Sunset
    Micariff
    Spanish Dancer
    Albino Snow (Platinum)

    Snakeskins:
    Green (gray body)
    Blue (gray body)
    Yellow (gray body)
    Red Lace (gray body)
    Metalhead (gray body)
    Blue Grass (gray body)
    Solid (black tail, red tail)
    Yellow Blonde
    Yellow-Red Blonde
    Albino Snakeskin
    Bader Snakeskin

    Moscows:
    Blue Panda
    Black Panda
    Pink Panda
    Thai (Midnight) Black
    Onyx Black
    Blue (black body)
    Green (black body)
    Full Red (from Flamingo Strain)
    Metalhead Snakeskin

    Tuxedos:
    Red Fin
    Blue Neon
    German Yellow
    Black

    Wild Types:
    Venezuelan (hybrid endler)
    Rotorua Wild
    Mixed strain breeding
    Feeder Guppies

    Novelty (can be any strain):
    Platinum
    Swallowtail
    Ribbonfin
    Crowntail
    Merah Crowntail
    Double Sword
    Single Sword (top, bottom)
    Lyretail
    Roundtail
    Pintail
    Speartail
    Hi-Fin (dorsal)
    Long-Fin (dorsal)
    Albino
    Blonde
  24. Haha
    nomad fish reacted to Caryl in Crypt affinis shooting   
  25. Like
    nomad fish reacted to andyman98 in Whistling Tree Frogs   
    there are both types at my granparents farm in pamerston north

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.