Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
We’ve recently updated Aquarium World! We’re working through a few bugs, with exciting new features on the way. Thanks for your patience while we fine-tune the site.

Aqua

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Aqua

  1. Aqua replied to Aqua's topic in Saltwater
    Man, I've been slowly adding salt-water to the aquarium for a week or so now, and I've just realised I'm going to need about 1Kg of the stuff to raise to the correct level!! Does that sound about right? The Instant Ocean bag had a little diagram where 1Kg of salt to 30L of water for full sea-water, and the AR-510 I've got is about 69L, so I'd need about a Kg right?? *blink* I never realised how much salt there really is in the sea!
  2. Aqua replied to TM's topic in Saltwater
    So whereabouts is it?
  3. Aqua replied to TM's topic in Saltwater
    can you imagine the power bill (it shows I work for a power retailer eh! :lol:)
  4. Aqua replied to Aqua's topic in Saltwater
    What kind of stock? more rock/coral etc? Would the lights need to be changed at all?
  5. Aqua posted a topic in Saltwater
    I was going to ask this in my other post, but thought better of it!! :lol: While at Jansens today, I saw an AR-510 with what looked like a clownfish & an anenome in it. Looked kind of bare, but I guess everything would grow in soon enough. My question is - how long would you expect a tank that size (it's about 69L from memory) to last before running into problems? Clownfish are about the only marine fish I'd be willing to keep, as I understand they're one of the few marine fish to breed in captivity??
  6. Aqua replied to Aqua's topic in Saltwater
    How accurate will I need to be, as I've been loaned one of those floating thermometer-type things, which I was told was reading fairly accurately... I'll be splashing out one day and buying a refractometer, but until then...
  7. Aqua replied to Aqua's topic in Saltwater
    that's the idea
  8. Aqua posted a topic in Saltwater
    Hey guys, me again!! I've finally gotten off my butt & bought some aquarium salts (Red Sea's Instant Ocean) & a few mollies to help start the cycling... Thing is, I got the mollies from a freshwater tank. I'm not sure how I should go about raising the salinity as I've never kept anything remotely marine before! What I'm planning on doing is having a puffer & 2 bumble-bee gobies in my AR-510, hopefully in Jan, so I've got plenty of time to get the tank cycled & salinity bought up to 1.020 (that's what the lady I'm buying the fish from has them at) which I was told today by Ben is actually near-enough to being full-blown marine levels! Help!!
  9. Aqua replied to Brianemone's topic in Freshwater
    From what I've seen, most loaches will eradicate snails within hours! Although I had a trio of clown loaches a couple of years ago, and they didn't even look at the snails, let alone eat them *sigh*
  10. Aqua replied to Brianemone's topic in Freshwater
    You mean these?
  11. Aqua replied to Aqua's topic in Technical
    The tank is totally empty at the moment BlueandKim, it's not going to have fish for a while yet! So toxicity won't be a worry...
  12. Aqua replied to Aqua's topic in Technical
    I did that with some scalpels, they're a helluva lot sharper than a stanley knife! :lol: So I'd have to go buy some silicon remover? I suppose that's best really, as I'll need to clean off the remnants as well!
  13. Aqua posted a topic in Technical
    I want to remove the ramp from a turtle tank, but leave the ledge in.. I've broken 2 scalpel blades trying to cut the silicon, and it's still too stuck for me to feel safe pulling on it! What's a household chemical I can use to help dissolve the silicon? I'm obviously going to put a good amount of water in the bottom of the tank so if the chemical leaks down, it won't eat the bottom of the tank!!!
  14. the speakers? sweeeeeeeeeet
  15. What about one of these? http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Pe ... 252757.htm
  16. I've got a Shark internal filter that'll be sitting in the tank as well, just to create waterflow underneath the turtle ledge, so maybe just one 204 would be sufficient...
  17. And what would you suggest? Fluval 2/304? Eheim? Other??
  18. Hey guys, I'm looking at purchasing an external filter, for an aquarium that's about 250L. Where's the best/cheapest for a good external filter?
  19. Hey guys, If I was to have a brackish tank with at least 1 archer fish in it (it's a 4'x2'x2' tank, and will be half-full), what fish would be recommended to live nicely, and how many? Also, does live rock survive in brackish water conditions? I understand that plants don't tend to do so well in that environment, and I'd like to get something relatively natural looking...
  20. Aqua replied to Aqua's topic in Technical
    It's 4' x 2' x 2' and it's 6mm glass Yeah I considered that... What would work well though? I suppose some plants that'll droop into the water would be best, and then I could make it brackish and get archer fish!! :bounce:
  21. Aqua replied to Aqua's topic in Technical
    Yeah the ramp won't be a problem but I have the sneaking suspicion that the ledge is helping hold the tank together!!!
  22. Aqua posted a topic in Technical
    Hey guys, If my turtle tank withstands a week or so of being filled to the top, I'm going to use it as an aquarium, and I'd like to hear opinions on getting sufficient water-flow throughout the aquarium as I don't want to have any dead spots! Being a turtle-tank, it's got the ledge that divides top from botton at one end... Ideas?
  23. Yeah, I wasn't really planning on having it REALLY exact, but having a rough idea of what the salinity is would obviously be quite helpful! I'll only have a puffer fish & a couple of bumblebee gobies in there
  24. And how expensive is a refractometer (roughly)?
  25. Hey guys My boyfriend and I are going to start a brackish tank up, and we know we'll need a hydrometer, but we're not sure what we're meant to be looking for! One of our friends has told us not to bother with them as they're terrible to try and calibrate etc... Any ideas?

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.