Everything posted by ljtan55
-
Betta Simorum - Simor Fighter
lol yeah a VERY happy chappy!! The parents have done well considering they have survived 3 house moves, 2 failed filter incidences including an electrical fault sending current into the water for 2 days... will post some pics some time of the babies if they hold still enough
-
Betta Simorum - Simor Fighter
WoohoOO! After 2 years of trying I finally have fry ! Just three of them, found them as I was cropping back the infestation of indian fern Just had to share !
-
Metrodiazanole
I might have some around, how much do you need? Will pm ya
-
Foiled again!!
Lol i have that problem with stargrass and indian fern. Didn't stand a chance the poor plant. Interestingly he wiped out the planted ones, but is ignoring the one that got uprooted and is floating around. I suspect this is his revenge for wiping all the algae off the glass..
-
Foiled again!!
After months and months of looking for green pine in the shops I finally get some, pop it in the tank and in 2 days my siamese algae eater has shaved it to a stalk. Arrgghh...!
-
SORRY-plecos died
Sorry to hear A-town, looked like a pretty awesome fish. I admit i was one of the ppl getting ready to duke it out to bring it home. Glad all your other fish are doing ok tho.
-
co2 cylinder in Auckland
Hey thats where i ended up getting mine from! I ended up getting most of my equipment from pearlingnz. Absolutely great guy, he pretty much walked me through everything, and contacted the guy for me and everything. Tank wise i coldn't be happier, the plants are growing ridiculously well, and i'm getting less algae cos of all the happy plants using it all.
-
Have I got the ONLY ALBINO CORYDORAS STERBAI, am I right?
I had 6 albino sterbai's from Jansens (animates now) in Botany last year, but sold them when I moved house. Quite sure they were albino sterbai's cos of they're white with orange fins. Haven't heard of anyone that have bred them in nz so you might be the first here? I havent seen them in the shops for ages though, would love to have them again as I miss the ones i had dearly.
-
Trouble with AR980 light hood
rip em out and start again i say ! :roll:
-
co2 cylinder in Auckland
Im just setting up my co2 system, and have got all the bits and pieces, but still waiting on the cylinder atm. Just a quick couple of questions, any disadvantages of buying a second hand cylinder? or would I be better to rent one? And where would I do both in Auckland? Thanks!
-
Co2 setups
Hey Blue, yeah had a tank disaster over christmas and a move so I'm just getting into it again. But now i have an internal garage so the tanks are multiplying... just trying to convince the fiance to park her car outside about now. Cheers for that, would I be better off buying everything separately or just get a total packaged system ?
-
anyone going from auckland to tauranga?
sweet all good, live fish would've been tricky. given you a pm
-
anyone going from auckland to tauranga?
I'm heading to rotorua on sat but will be stopping over tauranga on monday. Is it fish or equipment? what exactly is it?
-
question about really tropical fish
I do mostly cold water but in winter in the south island i used to add some boiled water to the bucket, and test it with my hand. Just enough to take the cold edge of it.
-
Leaving on vacation
Just my experience, my analogue ones are great but my digital just doesnt' work. Might be my programming tho - I'm a bit techno handicapped. But they are handy
-
Plants and dirftwood
wow thats different. I've been reading online and riccia sounds interesting, but difficult to maintain long term, but apos and ambuilia? so you have to tie em down right? and do they stick long term?
-
Plants and dirftwood
What kind of plants stick well to driftwood? I've tried javafern but after a while mine go brown no matter what i do to em. I've got anubiases on some of my other tanks, but want something different for my display tank than anubias and mosses. Can any other carpet plants be grown on driftwood like glosso or lilaeopsis?
-
Co2 setups
Just a quick question about CO2 setups. Been humming and haaing about getting pressurised co2 for my 255L planted tank but the different components and everything confuse me... soo.. a couple of questions 1. co2 bottles - do they come separately like gas bottles? Or do you have to buy them and can most bigger petshops refill them? 2. I get what diffusers do, but what do solenoids, and counters and ph monitors do, and how do they join up? 3. How much should my budget be for a simple but reliable system? 4. Other than refilling the bottle what kind of maintenance does it need? Thanks for all of this, I've been confused for so long and thats been putting me off buying one
-
Blue Rams Spawned Again, How can I keep the fry alive??
I don't suppose you have a power filter going on in your tank do you? I had a little aquaball in my tank when mine first spawned and all my little fry slowly got sucked up by the damn thing
-
Good fish tank movers
Actually.. probably just moving em a couple of streets down Thanks for the advice dimebag, unfortunately just broke down my tank anyway for a totally different reason - my mdf stand got water logged and was starting to disintegrate, and all my able bodied friends (im useless cos i sprained my wrist) are busy up til christmas. I might do that trick with the smaller tanks though. Ryanjury was that just a one off company which doesn't move anything with water in it, or are all of them like that? Thanks again for the advice guys
-
Good fish tank movers
I'm thinking about moving house, and I have about 5 fish tanks going.. most of em small, 60 cm (three), and one 255L. Can anyone recommended any good movers in the Auckland region that have experience moving fish tanks without breaking em? Thanks! Btw, do you need to break down the tank before you move, cos the 255l is planted, and if possible i reeeaaally dun wanna start again from scratch.
-
whats more agressive jd or gt
Sorry, but i've been trying to figure the title out. Jack daniels vs gran turismo? Jack dempsies vs gold turkeys? I give up whats gt stand for?
-
Obese Siamese Algae Eater
RIP obese siamese algae eater. Was sudden, was fine all the way till this morning when I found him in his favorite spot. Was eating all the way to the end.. measured that he was about 14cm when he died.
-
Discus going crazy
I do heaps of water changes all the time with the discus tank so I dont think its the water. Flukes? What are they and is there any outside way of telling if your discus has flukes? They seem to be eating fine and getting larger. Where would you get prazi from? From a pharmacy? Sorry for all the questions I've never encountered anything like it before. Will prazi kill plants btw? Should I be quarantining the whole tank? I have a UV sterilizer going if it makes a difference.
-
Discus going crazy
Its the second discus I have which seems tp have seizures, so I'm getting rather worried. Everything would be calm in the tank until suddenly, he'll go nuts and start swimming all over the tank bashing into the driftwood and then end up in a corner where he'll be until the next episode. Already he's got scratches. I've already lost one discus from the injuries he's received when he started playing up in a similar fashion, when he ended up burying himself in between the driftwood and the gravel. I do have ottos in the tank, but they've never disturbed the discus before, as well as whiptails and a hillstream loach. When I lost my first discus, I thought it might have been a neurological disorder, but with the second one (after 2 months since the last one) I'm getting seriously worried. Only the bigger ones seem to get affected - might they be growing out of the tank? Tank specs: 50 gallon, nitrates nitrates low, phosphates 1.5ppm, ph 6.5 Tankmates: 5 discus, 10 cardinals, 10 black neons, 6 sterbai, 6 blue rams, 3 saes and 4 ottos, 2 whiptails.