new six foot tank and stand

peanuts

my hubby is into his cichlids and he wanted a bigger tank for them to grow into, hence the six footer, he welded a steel frame then clad it in macrocarpa, placed tank on then built a hood encasing the light.

but then he had to add more cichlids to the ones he already had.

http://gallery.guppies.co.nz/albums/use ... 002_-1.jpg

fish include

golden peacocks, blue peacocks, johaniis, ice blue zebras, albino zebras, red kadangos, lionheads, esteraes, kingseis, electric yellows, blue zebras, auratus plus 3 bristlenose and two kuhli loaches.

sorry don't know all the latin names - still learning them.

the tank dimensions are 1800x500dx700h for lighting i used 2 4ft floros mounted offset with one end at each end of the hood that way i only need 4 ft tubes and not the 5 or 6 ft tubes which are way harder and costlier to get and besides all the tubes i had were 4 ft.

sorry hubby posted about the size of the tank and he has problems with his calculations.

But YES shiuh

- this stand was made from scratch -

had the next door neighbour weld the steel together then hubby got the wood and attached to the steel, only took him a weekend, then we got the tank made by Peter at Port Nicholson glass and once he had that he made the lighthood which he attaches the light fittings inside the hood.

had the next door neighbour weld the steel together then hubby got the wood and attached to the steel, only took him a weekend, then we got the tank made by Peter at Port Nicholson glass and once he had that he made the lighthood which he attaches the light fittings inside the hood

:o u made sound so easy :D wish i have that sort of carpentry skills

awe shucks guys you are making me all embarressed but thank you for the comments

and yes i am proud of the way it turned out it is the biggest and baddest of our family of tanks cost wise it worked out much cheaper than buying one from the shop, those prices nearly gave me a coronary(not to mention karen ) who wouldive had to find the cash. and it is not really that hard to do with good planning and a lot of thought anyone can do it

that stand looks awesome, what joints are they on the corners of the light hood? How are the rocks kept in place?? if they aren't glued i wouldn't sleep very well :o I am eagerly anticipating the completion of my new tank, should be about 740litres with the sump. It's 1350x790x710 :bounce: Anyone know how to make holes in limestone? Would a waterblaster be powerful enough or would i have to use a concrete drill?

Dan

hi dan, the lighthood corners are mitred with a half inch scollop taken out of all the visiable edges takes the emphasis(spelling) off the corner and gives the look of a panelled surface.some people call them feature edges.

the rocks are all just sitting there didnt use silicon or anything just placed them.(didnt fancy trying to catch fish around them)put them in over the course off a day if it was too unstable pulled them out and started again hense why it took all day to set up.it is really stable it takes a bit of effort to move them. i put the bottom row on a piece off poly cut to fit between the braces then put in the gravel around them.so if the fish play bulldozers(which they have )the rocks wont come down.as for putting holes in the stones the only thing i found that works was a masonary bit. i found some of the tall background today the rockface one it looks heaps better now no hoses, your new 740 litre tank sounds awesome what r u going to put in it?

hope this helps , glenn

hi dan

its a bummer having to wait , the 4 weeks it took me to build/source the components required couldnt pass quick enough but it was all worth the wait big tanks and africans what a mix!!!!!!!!!!! awesome. hope your new tank comes together allright for you. if you need any help with info for your stand just ask.im only to pleased to help (in any way i can from here)

glenn