Breeding Goldfish?>???

kylejmorrison

Hey

I am thinking of attempting to breed my gold fish have 3 biggish ones and two black moores. i also have a bristlenose plec. Unsure on how old they are, does that matter. What extra things should i do to encourage them. I have heard of breeding mops whats the best things to do for goldfish.

Thanks alot

i know that males often get 'egg spots' on their gills when they want to breed. not sure if thats all species or what

yep its call "tubercles" and only really starts to show on males [all types] around 2 of age which is prime for breeding while they are in breeding mode which is just above 20 degree really.

since its ur first time breeding goldfish i would suggest just let them do it normally. select a nice size female and 2 to 3 male for breeding keep the males and the female separate for conditioning.

keep the males on a normal diet and put the female on a high protein diet like meal worm, brine shrimp....... and just as the female is about to burst put some spawning mop in with the female and introduce the males.

now do a cold water change and see the males chase after the female and do prepare yourself as they're pretty ruff and u may need to remove the female to make them stop. as soon as u think u have enough eggs take all the parents out and drop the water level down to around 12cm and wait 4 to 5 days before hatching.

be prepare to do some kulling as a medium size female can easily drop over 1000 eggs and a lot of them will be nymphs.

i am no expert but i do breed all sort of gold fish when they are in season.

• 3 months later...

Yes it does.

you remove the eggs or the fish if you can find them, they should be in plants.

They will breed again so you could put a heap of spawning mops in a shallow part of the pond and keep an eye on them. remove the mops if used by the fish. Place in a tank with a bubbler and wait.

You should be able to see the eggs clearly, they are clear and jelly like there will be lots of them.

You should also take this time to get ready to feed the fry.

What to feed them, WELL I do have some ideas. But I am no expert either :lol: in fact I have never breed gold fish. I did tell my sister how to do it and it worked for her.

They lay their eggs on the underside of plant leaves. I was catching fry from my big pond this afternoon. Hard to catch 2cm fry in a 32ft pond :roll:

Only catching them so Grant could play with the macro mode on his new camera 8) . They will be released into the small pond to grow up unmolested by the bigger fish.

is the pond heavily planted? if not chances are the eggs are all gone by now. and if it is then i would just leave it and ur find ur self with little more fish in a month time.

if ur serious about breeding then use the method above on my previous post. otherwise i would not bother doing anything at all as the fish will mostly be nymphs, comets or brown shrubs. invest in some more plants for the pond and u'll find ur self with more fish than u can handle.

In my experience goldfish become more active and spawn in times of high atmospheric pressure rather than any other weather conditon so if you use mops they should be able to be removed with eggs in thase conditions. Unless you select the fish you will end up with a mixture breeding that will only produce total rubbish.

u hav a BN in an outdoor pond? How is he doing?

I have found that if the pond is well planted, generally the fry will do OK. Natural selection and all :)

If you want to save more of the fry you will need to keep a close eye on the plants, when you see the eggs (which look similar to air bubbles with stuff inside) remove the plant and put it all in a seperate tank/pond. Also keep an eye out for the fry over the next week or two and catch them (a bit difficult, you need to have good eyes!) to put them in the seperate tank/pond. Alternatively you could wait till the goldies have spawned then remove the adults. Letting the lil rascals have the run of the pond 8)

Like Alanmin4303 said if you dont select your fish you will end up with random mixes (wouldn't call them "total rubbish"). This can be quite fun to see what you end up with! Could end up with something quite special and unique!

Its very fascinating to watch the eggs hatch and the fry grow up :D

Enjoy and best of luck!

Thanks for everyones help. :D:D Can someone tell me approx. how long does it take for the eggs to hatch??

Thanks

Goldfish eggs take about 5day at 21C, 7days at 18C.

To give the fry the best chance to survive you should bring the water

level down to 15cm (so they do not get crushed by the weight of the water).

Once they have hatched they will feed on their yolk sack for about 3days,

When they have finished their yolk sack start feeding them small foods

like BBS, microworms, liquid food, crushed hard boiled egg yolk, crushed flake food, ect...

had a look at the pond and there is lot of eggs (or what i think is eggs) in the plants. What colour should a fertilized egg look like? and if i take them out and put into a seperate tank does that tank need anything in it. eg. filter, airstone etc thanks

don't know why my post isnt going to the bottom???

Fertilized eggs look transparent, non-fertilized eggs turn white (remove the bad ones as they will grow fungus which may spread to the good ones)

Use a sponge filter in the fry tank.