Warning, warning, warning...

ajbroome

Folks,

I'm on a MAF mailing list and I just got a message saying they're updating the 'list'. Here's a quote:

> The following species have been removed from the draft list on behalf

> of the Department of Conservation as they are considered to be 'very

> high risk species' to the New Zealand environment:

>

> Corydoras trilineatus,

> Corydoras rabauti,

> Corydoras reticulatus,

> Corydoras punctatus,

> Corydoras melini,

> Corydoras metae

> Synodontis angelicus

The last one is particularly hysterical I think!

Get in touch if you want the whole document. I trust the Federation 'Fish Committee' is on to this?

Andrew.

Sharn said...

> why exactly are they classed as 'high risk'?

Look, I don't make the rules (or even agree with them) I just posted this because I thought people here might find it interesting.

I suspect that if you think about it you could work out why some 'suit' might think they're a risk.

Andrew.

No definately not.

Get hold of them if they are available and breed them up if you can before the border is closed on them.

I'm pretty sure that unless they are illegal when you get them, you can keep them, and that means it may be the last time you'll see them legally in NZ.

They are just thinking about taking them off the importation list.

DUH!!

Alan 104

Ahh, I get it now :oops: . Its just that it was asked if they will be able to be sold and you said its only a draft. I thought they meant a risk to our environment, not endangered. Thanks :o:o:o:o

you will find the reason they have been taken of is that there is no evidence of them being imported in the past, that is importers not having a invoice with that species on. There are a lot more like this.

Remember this is a First Draft, still time for the importers to make a submission.

I agree alan

But we did have a chance (and still do) to add fish to this list. Take a look at the marine list, thanks to a lot of hard work but SOME importers there are now new species on there.

FNZAS asked people to supply photos of the species that were not on the list, however alot of people did nothing.

There are people that are working on this list to get more species on there, this may/will be our last chance ever to do this. :D

They probably think they are capable of living and breeding in NZ and causing a problem to salmon and trout. The sport fish lobby has far too much say in NZ because they pay licence fees and have more clout. To hell with the mud fish and inanga etc. This is why they were mumbling about barbs. It will depend on what level of risk they assess as to what level of restriction they wish to impose.

Before jumping to any conclusions, it's best to read the whole document. Below is a link the Biosecurity and on the page you will find a downloadable DRAFT of the document. It is now open for submissions.

http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/strategy ... tation/ihs

The FNZAS Fish Committee is on the case and has been working with MAF on the whole project. I don't want to see anyone complaining about the list. You all had the change last year to make submissions to the species study. This document is the result. As very few of you bothered to do anything, the list is smaller than it could have been.

As for the species being removed, if there is good reason, we in the hobby should be supporting protecting our environment. If there's no a good reason we'll be making a submission on behalf of the NZ Hobbyists.

The FNZAS Fish Committee is on the case and has been working with MAF on the whole project. I don't want to see anyone complaining about the list. You all had the change last year to make submissions to the species study. This document is the result. As very few of you bothered to do anything, the list is smaller than it could have been.

And importers.....

the marine list shows how much work was put in. the marine list is now heaps bigger than before.

The freshwater is well, not flash.

As warren said don't complain we all had our chance last year, you will just have to hope the submissions from importers and fnzas are taken on, unlike the other submissions last year.