NSW how do you heat yours?

JDM

doing my water change tonight and i thort i might see how people are heating there NSW.

i use a big pot on the stove, PITA as it only hols about 10ltrs so it takes me ages to heat 50ltrs.

tonight i have just put a heater in one of the drums and will see how that goes but i would think its going to take longer than the stove :roll:

You can work out the temp change easily enough, as whether it will make much of a difference.

30% water change of a 100L tank with water at 15degreesC.

Display tank at 25C.

(30%x15C)+(70%x25C) New temp equalls......

---------------------------- =22 DegreesC.

Note those are percentages so you have to type 30% as "0.3".

So if thats enough of a change to be worried about I dunno, I geuss not?

cold here too, i think that seems to be the general consensus :D as with others, never had any issues myself either. goes in the sump rather than in the main tank though. temp drops to about 21 - 22 in main tank usually but only for a short period of time. just added a spare 200W heater i had lying around a couple nights ago too, 900W of heating now so it dont stay cold for long!!! combined with one of those aquamedic temp controllers from steve it works a treat :D

900w for your tank Chimera, wow.

i dont think extra heating is really any big deal. they are all controlled by a separate temperature controller. just means when heaters do come on, they bring it back to the set temperature quicker. (so lots of Watts used in a shorter period of time as opposed to fewer watts used over a longer period). i basically added the 200W'er because the sump room is not insulated (yet) and gets freezing in there at night! as soon as its done, i could probably reduce it back to 600W's total. i have seen this, not too sure how accurate it is?

Allow one watt per one and half litres of water of water if the aquarium needs to be heated to 5ºC or less above room temperature. Increase this to one watt per litre if water temperature needs to be up to 10ºC above room temperature

Room temp in sump room would get down to around 1-5 degrees at night

You can work out the temp change easily enough, as whether it will make much of a difference.

30% water change of a 100L tank with water at 15degreesC.

Display tank at 25C.

(30%x15C)+(70%x25C) New temp equalls......

---------------------------- =22 DegreesC.

Note those are percentages so you have to type 30% as "0.3".

So if thats enough of a change to be worried about I dunno, I geuss not?

A good quick calulation but doesn't take into account the heat in the rocks, glass etc which will reduce the change even more.

but doesn't take into account the heat in the rocks, glass etc which will reduce the change even more

negligible! you really think they will make that more difference? 0.1 of a degree? if you're lucky? heat from halides, ambient room temperature and fish farts would contribute more to faster heating