April 18, 200620 yr comment_97834 I just had a looksee at the freshwater tank, and it's somewhat infested with cone-shaped snails, all running around in the gravel (well, doing what snails do). Anyone know what these are? and how to get rid of em? Report
April 18, 200620 yr Author comment_97839 That's them - thanks (as found here: http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_Mela ... culata.php ) Seems interesting, they certainly breed fast, I hadn't noticed them before, and now there are hundreds! Report
April 19, 200620 yr comment_97879 Yep, the good old Malaysian Trumpet Snail. As people said on the site you linked to, they have advantages and disadvantages. The main advantage is aerating the substrate, the main disadvantage is that you end up with millions of them! Personally I don't like the way they look in a tank. Especially if you have dark substrate, you can see lots of white shells all over it. If you do regular gravel vacuuming you're clearing away the dead plant matter and aerating the substrate anyway, so no need for the snails. Basically it's a matter of personal preference. At least they won't eat your plants. Report
April 19, 200620 yr comment_97880 Hey Misnoma, I would suggest, you invest in a couple of Clown Loaches, they absolutely LOVE these little snails, if I had any snails in my tankies, they wouldn't be there for long, the Loaches clean them out pretty quick. Good Luck Lynda Report
April 19, 200620 yr Author comment_97883 Yeah, I think we're going to get a couple this weekend (or four ) Report
April 19, 200620 yr comment_97885 We've got a few hundred of these in our cichlid tank, you never see more than one or two until the lights go out, then the swarm erupts from the gravel.... good to know they have a good side to them Report
April 19, 200620 yr comment_97889 Yeap Mis, Four is a good number for Loaches, I had 1 Clown loach and never saw him/her, now I have 4, I see them all the time, they are such cool little fellas, they quite often play tag together. Lynda Report
April 19, 200620 yr comment_97895 I actually like trumpet snails, and tried introducing them in my tank on purpose. Unfortunately, they are not doing very well. Some died out, some remain alive, but it appears that they do not breed. I see occasionally one or two of them climbing the glass, but they are all the big ones that I introduced in the first place. No small ones. Report
April 19, 200620 yr comment_97897 we had a huge infeststation of them, put 3 skunk loache's in the tank and pretty much all the snails were gone overnight. Report
April 19, 200620 yr comment_97949 Clown loaches are the answer to get rid of them. We had a swarm of snails in one of our tanks, so we moved the Clown Loaches over to the infested tank, and with in 3-5days all was left was empty shells. Gotta love the Loaches, But be carefull if you get them as they are very seceptable to white spot, so quarantine them first if you are able. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.