Doc's little piece of reef

Doc Holiday

my first tank was very similar to what he has and it traped allot of crap that could easily have been avoided by having the rocks even a few cm from the sand.

it makes it alot easier to avoid dead spots, not much involved either.

seems strange that you would advise against something that might help him and make life easier :-?

Its not really a big issue at this stage, because it is only a temp setup until we move house in 6 months time, to which I will then construct on a more permanent basis. The rock is currently sitting on the glass bottom and there is mininmal contact points with the sand, there will be hardley any livestock for the next few months so it shouldn't cause any problems

ask yourself this...

whats the purpose of a reef rack?

to allow flow under the rocks and stop detritus that would otherwise sit under the rocks and kill (suffocate) nitrifying bacteria that lived there.

next question, is there sufficient water movement in the tank itself to provide flow under the rack? do you have a spray bar under? if not, then detritus will lie under the reef rack and eventually act like a dsb. that dsb will end up crashing (likely to be years down the line but it will happen) I was speaking to Nick the other night from the side of his tank he can see about 4 inches of crap under the reef rack! (no closed loop) How quickly this happens depends on your maintenance, whether you have closed loops and whether you have a BB tank or not. I can see areas under my reef rack where flow from the spray bar doesnt reach, a build up of crap (not much yet, but you can see it starting!)

I tend to agree more with reef on this one, there is not enough rock really to worry about a reef rack. So long as the rock is sitting on the tank bottom and not the sand should be sweet. Even a 2" high reef rack would be good but not too much point if you dont have decent flow under it.

I think it looks awesome (similar layout to cookie's), just another thing to be aware of make sure there are enough hiding places for the shy fish!

I agree with Reef/Chimera. Leave it, looks great will work fine.

Can't wait to see it grow. Give it 3 months and that white rock will be purple and it will be a stunner!

Love the look of new tanks. The look so cool with no algae, salt creep and all that shite plumbing this creeps into the tank!

Good work DOC, loving it.

Pie

whats the purpose of a reef rack?

to allow flow under the rocks and stop detritus that would otherwise sit under the rocks and kill (suffocate) nitrifying bacteria that lived there.

Killing nitrifying bacteria is not really an issue. It's more the accumulation of phosphate, which will eventually lead to algae problems, as well as problems for particular types of corals (sps mainly).

Tank looks good though. What size is it?

Layton

It's the same tank as misnomas, a 5' aquaone tank.

To answer misnomas question" there is no sump, no skimmer. The overhead filter has about 4kg of rock in it and 1 kg of carbon sought of acting as a miny sump until the tank gets conected to the sump room in the new house.

The look so cool with no algae, salt creep and all that shite plumbing this creeps into the tank!

so true.

It's more the accumulation of phosphate, which will eventually lead to algae problems, as well as problems for particular types of corals (sps mainly).

yeah that too :wink:

doc, what are the two bulkhead fittings up the top/back for? do you have a closed loop running?

yeah, tis an awesome colour and looks sharper than the photo's do it justice. immitates nature well. i cant remember the exact brand of paint for mine - although i do recall getting it from a taubmans shop. black is good too as it can provide a nice contrast for coral colours. imo blue is a bit more natural looking (strange that) even though the distant water looks black when you going diving sometimes :lol: