Tired of BOC gases deal on Co2? Check this -

wasp

some info on co2 cylinder failures investigated in the uk by the uk health and safety executives

pay particular attention to the bits where is shows pictures of holes being blown through block walls and the fact water ingress can cause a brand new co2 cylinder failure in less than 3 months

this is on a 5 year test cylinder !!!

http://www.hse.gov.uk/foi/internalops/hid/din/538.pdf

I just want you to Appreciate that a reputable company such as BOC , or air products or airgas or Air Liquide etc do things PROPERLY and to the BOOK, and charge the prices they do for a reason,

I resent any one making accusations of a legitimate, safe company being "rip off merchants - extortion rackets, con artisits etc - without knowing all the facts - WAKE UP

a sizable chunk of these companies turnover generally goes back into research and development, to develop new technologies, to move industry and the world forward, making a safer and better world for us all and our children, including development and investment of hydrogen fuel cells, co2 reclamation for powerplants to protect the planet form increase in greenhouse effects. any profits made by smaller cheaper companies goes into their back pockets to buy a flash car or big house, what benefit are they doing the world ??

If we ALL used cheap suppliers where would the new technology and developments come from with no funding, we would end up back in the dark ages.

cheap suppliers MAY or MAY NOT use cheap imported parts or may not be able to afroed to carry out all the correct procedures ?? , IT IS UP TO YOU TO FIND OUT !! if you do not it may be at your peril

to quote the HSE

Now landlords may buy their beer from anyone and their gas from whoever offers the best deal in the area. This had led to the introduction of a large number of independent gas filling companies competing for business, and has resulted in a significantlowering of the cost of dispensing gases. Unfortunately, it has also resulted in a reduced

level of control exercised over the gas cylinders.

may I draw your attention to the part of the report where it discusses that a cheap immitation valve was discovered from china that had been developed from just a picture alone, the bursting disc was manufactured incorrectly and didnt operate to relieve the cylinder pressure and the cylinder failed. IF the valve was the proper one, this wouldnt have happened. IT COULD HAVE TAKEN A LIFE.

I am asking you all to check you have the RIGHT equipment from a reputable supplier to keep you all safe, THIS IS NOT ABOUT MONEY !!

If you can find a cheaper supplier THAT CAN MATCH ALL THE SAFEGUARDS AND QUALITY ASSURANCE AND SERVICE LIKE FOR LIKE - GO FOR IT- BRILLIANT - however the reality is very few if any can 100% match these market leaders, and they ARE market leaders for a reason. Many smaller suppliers are cheaper for a reason, have you ever asked yourself WHY ??

most are obviously genuine and will generally trade within the law and meet minimum requirements, however products may not always to the same high quality standards as the larger companies, hence the cheaper prices

However some may be illegal or illicit suppliers who just want your money and dont care of the cost to the end user to get it, they know people cant resist a bargain - is it worth your life for a few bucks - do they care if you get maimed or killed ?? probably not

would you fly on a plane that hadnt been approved by safety regulations, hadnt had its maintenance checks, just because it was cheaper ???

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have worked as a Dangerous Goods Inspector and I can assure you that all people selling Class 2 Dangerous goods (compressed gasses) have to comply with the Dangerous Goods Regulations---not only BOC.

This includes the quality of all cylinders, valves and fittings as well as standards and requirements for testing and filling. They are routinely inspected and Inspectors take the requirements seriously because of the potential risks involved with all dangerous goods.

After all, that is why they are called Dangerous Goods.

If all in the business are required to meet the same standard why would a person not buy from the cheapest.

What many object to is the fact that BOC will only fill their own cylinders (which are rented) and it is cheaper for most people involved on here to own their own (which then will not be filled by BOC even if it complies with all the legal requirements)

One would have to conclude that this is not about safety.

I repeat that in all the Class 2 incidences which I attended I never once saw a representative from BOC.

I have also seen spectacular damage done by plumbers who had their brain switched off when dealing with solid fuel heaters and the result of people who didn't know what they were doing trying to alter class 3 containers with a welding torch.

The supplier I use recharges CO2 cylinders a lot of the cities commercial fire systems and the fire service, so I think it's pretty safe to say his level of inspection and quality control is at least as high as the over priced BOC.

You obviously work for BOC. You have not made a single post on any other subject in this forum. It's time your account was removed.

would you fly on a plane that hadn’t been approved by safety regulations, hadn’t had its maintenance checks, just because it was cheaper???

That’s how most people book their tickets these days. The price is the deciding factor. How many of you went to a ticket agent and asked to see maintenance check records etc? Its all (unfortunately) price driven.

I reckon Suphew is on the money. It's a little odd that someone from a foreign country with no posting history goes to in bat for a company.

This is someone who's paid to web-search and defend his client where (in)appropriate, and the admins should act accordingly, IMHO of course :)

The cost is what is cost as that is the price for doing Business.

Air Liquide cost about the same to fill a bottle.

As mentioned BOCs core business is not filling aquarium co2 bottles. They charge what they do to stay in Business.

Its a volume game , you fill your co2 bottle every week and i am sure you will get a far better price, Filling a co2 bottle once a year is hardly worth it so that is why they charge more and why not.

They are filling heaps of CO2 bottles with food grade CO2 for the food industry every day. Why would it cost them more to fill my once a year bottle than the pub's once a week bottle? The point realy is that all sellers of CO2 are licenced in New Zealand and have to meet the same legal requirements. All cylinders and fittings that are manufactured or imported have to comply with the same standards. Why not go to the cheapest?

They are filling heaps of CO2 bottles with food grade CO2 for the food industry every day. Why would it cost them more to fill my once a year bottle than the pub's once a week bottle?

It's called "volume discount" pub will need them more often so the business is regular and company probably discounts accordingly. I know we do much better prices for volume sales (especially where the sales are ongoing) where I work.

I understand about volume discounts to encourage regular customers to stay with the firm. My point was that it costs the firm no more to fill 99 cylinders for pubs and 1 for me than it does for 100 cylinders for a pub. There is no more cost involved so why does one company charge $10 and the other $30 and which company would you go to when all the companies have to meet the same safety requirements and the only difference is the cost?

I understand about volume discounts to encourage regular customers to stay with the firm. My point was that it costs the firm no more to fill 99 cylinders for pubs and 1 for me than it does for 100 cylinders for a pub. There is no more cost involved so why does one company charge $10 and the other $30 and which company would you go to when all the companies have to meet the same safety requirements and the only difference is the cost?

I guess it all comes down to because they can!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 1 year later...