Anyone know what this is?

vapo

It seems to have slightly broader leaves than that, but it looks a lot like it. It's probably some sort of bog plant though, cos it hasn't grown at all since we got it. Other plants growing fine, just not this one.

Cheers,

Vapo.

I've got a Borneo Sword in my tank at work, my Amazon Swords are throwing out runners left, right and centre but my Borneo Sword has only grown two new leaves in a couple of years :roll: , stupid plant :lol: . It isn't dieing so I have just left it in there.

This plant may be Anubias barteri v. barteri

This would also explain its slow growth rate, as anubias are very slow growing plants.

Anubias barteri v. nana is commonly seen & v. barteri is available quite regularly now.

Try www.tropica.dk for more info.

http://www.aquahobby.com/garden/e_barteri.php

Also has a good pic.

Borneo sword is Spathiphyllum Sp. The Peace Lily, more suited to bathrooms than aquariums. :D

I think it may be anubias barteri too and you are right Jude they look very like a peace lily. I asked a grower once but he assured me they are not the same plant and here was me thinking I could just tear apart the peace lilies I have and use them in tanks!

Its all very confusing isn't it. I have what I thought was anubias barterii (from caryl) and it looks like a bigger leaved anubias nana - roundish leaves and nothing like this plant.

Lets hope we get it solved :)

Cheers

Jude

Thanks a lot everyone. Probably some sort of anubias, but I'm still not sure which. Yes, I agree Jude. I've looked at a lot of them now and it doesn't seem to quite fit any that I've seen yet, but I'll keep lookin'!

Cheers,

Vapo.

It looks exactly like a 'sword' I bought from an LFS, turned out to be a Peace Lily... Keep an eye on it - if it NEVER grows, it's more than likely a Peace Lily, and you should remove it, 'cause it'll deteriorate and eventually die :cry:

I bought 2 of these plants ages ago, also from LFS called "Swords". One of them is still going nuts! Throws out a leaf and grows straight to the surface then opens up, has a bit of red colour in the leaf too. All you see in the tank is a stalk. Got to the stage now i just cut them off cos they stalks look horrible.

Its only use at the moment is its stalks support the leaves of a large E.Orisis.

Hi, I'm Vapo's partner and the plant has just decided to grow a bit taller. Perhaps because we've changed the lighting patterns. We keep the 10,000K on longer and the 18,000K on for shorter periods of time. Perhaps this is the reason? We'll see how it goes. Keep ya posted!

• 4 weeks later...

Well, the problem has been solved!! 100 points to all those who thought it was a peace lily!! Went to Mitre 10 Mega and they had peace lillies for sale. Took one look and recognised my plant immediately! It is now potted and sitting on my dining table. I also went to Animates (Lower Hutt) and told them the story. They gave us an anubias on the spot. Thanks to all who took time to check this out :D

Cheers again,

Vapo.