My 120l Hexagonal Tank

clarkeymaster

hello all

In my 120l hexagonal tank i was thinking of having 4 angelfish ,12 black widow tetras or similar tetra/schooling fish, a couple of b/n catfish and then another couple of other different catfish/loach. there is no fish in the tank in thier at the moment, its got a 300w heater and i nice big bit of driftwood that goes reaches right up to the top of the tank. is there any plants that will grow off the driftwood, i wana have valisanria for the background? will those fish be alright together and wat other different catfish/loach could i put in thier?

thank

I dont like hex tanks, less surface area so you can have less fish.

Angels grow pretty big. I wouldn't get black widows with angels, as they tend to be fin nippers. Serpaes are other tetras that can fin nip.

as for bottom feeders, some cory's would work well.

Make sure you are carful not to overstock, and that you cycle the tank properly and introduce fish slowly!

plecs

No, you cant have a siamese fighter in with Angels!! the angels would have fun though :lol:

and yes java fern looks great on driftwood, there are other plants, but there are many others on this site that know more than me so will leave it for them. :bow:

And as for tetras, I really like cardinals, not dull, and they grow bigger and look nicer than neons, worth the extra $$$$$ i think. A good size school of them looks great!! I also really like congo tetras, penguins in a school, head and tail light....there are way too many to list!! Go to your LFS, see what you like and then come back and ask about them.

plecs

I have to disagree with previous post. Black widows will be fine. We regularly put them in with angels and no fin nipping whatsoever. Same with serpaes and we even put tiger barbs in with no problems. Catfish are good, so is a pair of kribs, definitely bristlenose and you could also try anubias attached to driftwood. Dependant upon where the tank is situated java fern does not always do well in hexagonals. In our 110 litre aquariums we usually release around 20 fish but we do have excellent filtration (Eheim 2213) and also run an airstone approx half way down tank.

I got my filter today, a fluval 3 plus that pumps upto 700l/h, put 10 bunches of val behind the large driftwood, so tank now is near complete, i like the java fern idea of having it tied to the driftwood, all i want now is a nice dense but small corys can fit through and not get stuck, bottom carpet plant that grows very easily and with a low light.how many albino corys would be necesary?, i was thinking 3-5.

it is really interesting how the same species of fish seems to vary so much on things like fin nipping!

I have seen angels destroy a fighters tail, same with black widows. and i have seen guppies eat a fighters tail.

strange huh

plecs

Clown Loaches would be alright in there. I have 13x Tiger Barbs and 4x Black Widow Tetras and I have never had any problem with Fin Nipping, I also have 2x Black Ghost Knife Fish, 1x Elephant Nose Fish, 3x Clown Loaches, 1x Upside Down Catfish, 2x Bristle Nose Catfish, 12x Glass Blood Fin Tetras (They are good for Hex Tanks as are Glass Catfish).

Iv bewn keeping a good eye on water parameters in the tank and everything so far is going good(touch wood).

I now in the tank have

3 Medium Angelfish

3 Albino Catfish

6 Serpae Tetras

6 SilverTip Tetras

2 Cockatoo Ciclids

I am gona be getting another 2 Albino Corys and 2 B/N Catfish aswell

I also brought a borneo sword which looks great now. cant wait for the fish to get settled in and for the tank to grow a bit.

Hi Clarkey,

what are some names of plants that act as a carpet?

Riccia is probably the one you are thinking of.. but lots of plants are ideal if you keep nipping them back and transplanting them.

Java Moss is another.. (spreads like mad).. and Pygmy Chain Swords look goods if you can get hold of them.

Bill.

This is photos taken of my 120l Hexagonal Tank(This is my first time posting pics, hopefully it works).

Currently there are:

6 Silvertip Tetras (from Hollywoods Albany)

6 Serpae Tetras (from Hollywoods Albany)

3 Angelfish (from Pupuke Aquariums)

5 Albino Corys (from Hollyowds Mt Roskill and Pupuke Aquariums)

2 Bristle Nose Catfish (from Hollywoods Albany)

2 Cockatoo Cilcids (from Pupuke Aquariums)

There are 10 or so bunches of val and one borneo sword and that floating plant is a cardamine which is supplied by "tanksman".

105070811.jpg

105070799.jpg

105070496.jpg

I will Be adding another 6 of the tetras and possibly remove the cockatoos and replace them with another angel or a pair of blue rams(would these be okay with the rest of the fish?), also ill add 3 bunches of java fern to the driftwood and then il get an amozon sword aswell, then il try root the cardamine in the gravel as best i can.

Once i do this, i will post some more pics.