my new tank thread

Brianemone

There are advantages and disadvanages to corner and square over flows.

Corner, less space to work in, less area for water flow over the top. But you only have to set it up once, you will gain more space in the tank, plus the square ones are harder to aquascape around.

I would advise you leave the over flow outlet in the bottom of the tank that way you can leave the bottom join in your stand pipe unglued so you can pull it out if you need to, I guess you could do this with a side exit but its would make it harder, and add atleast two extra bends to your costs.

The return pump is the one that is going to be doing all the work (pushing water up hill), if it was me I wouldn't put anything on that is going to restrict the flow, so would run it into a sea swirl.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they are completely separate devices.

seaswirl is (specifically) designed for a return, sits on the edge of your tank and oscillates the flow by 90 degrees left/right.

squirt is (specifically) designed for a closed loop, has a drum internally that rotates directing flow independantely out 4 different outlets.

combining the two is possible, but you would need 4 sea-swirls :D that would be absolutely AWESOME for random water flow although bloody expensive!!! come over sometime when you're in auckland next and see my setup to get some ideas.

The return pump is the one that is going to be doing all the work (pushing water up hill), if it was me I wouldn't put anything on that is going to restrict the flow, so would run it into a sea swirl.

Exactly!

from what ive read the difference between squirt or no squirt is like a right angle in the piping im assuming the same applies to the seaswirl.

i understand the principle behind both both want some objective opinions s to which will provide the best rate of flow and randomness

re: randomness, the squirt would be best only for the fact it has more outlets thus can produce cross-currents. sea-swirl is just 90 degrees side to side. however combine the both and you get very good randomness as they oscillate/alternate at different speeds so turbulence in the tank is always going to be varied.

You are correct but there are two points to consider, first the more devices you have (restrictions) the less flow you will get from your return. Therefore you will require a big pump that costs more to run. The second and more important is return's will syphon when the power goes out, therefore you need all the return outlets to be as high in the tank as reasonable plus ideally have anti-syphon holes in each either above or just below the water line. Any water above your outlets or anti-syphon holes will go to the sump when the pumps is off.

It doesn't make a huge difference, but it is an improvement. I would have done it if I could have afforded it.

BEWARE that its much weaker glass so the dimentions may be restricted by the dimante.

Check someone elses tank like ZeovitNZ before you decide.

Good luck

Pie

I would have done it if I could have afforded it.

probably comes down to the fact that for a tank my size its not as prohibitive as for a tank of your size (and almost every one elses tank)

from the pics ive seen of the starphire tanks it looks great

now do i go Barebottom :oops: or have a sandbed which gives me a bit more flexability with fish choice ok i just made up my own mind.

so what fish should i plan on getting?? im thinking something like a fancy wrasse, in which case the sand bed would help.

i dont want a high fish bioload so i want my fish to stand out.

n.b i am now making it deeper front to back as my stand can fit in now (sneeky sneeky)

• 2 weeks later...