my new tank thread

Brianemone

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as im making it all myself i would prefer to have it as one peice. I dont really like furniture that comes apart (at least not with that much weight sitting on top)

might even just make a huge mofo tank and just store it untill we buy, make moving real easy

Brian - if its been put together in the first place doesnt it follow that it would come apart? Whats the difference between making it in the workshop or assembling it in the room its going to be used? Either way, it has to be assembled no ?

Food for thought....

If you want to go bigger now, how about doing a tank size that could then be used as a sump for the "big" tank you will set up your "to be" house.

Cheers

Andrew

the cabinet will just be a basic wooden frame with decorative ply on the outside (probably birch or cedar) stained nicely to match claires new table and chairs that would be right next to it.

If you want to go bigger now, how about doing a tank size that could then be used as a sump for the "big" tank you will set up your "to be" house

i dont really want to upgrade again thats why i was going to have the tank as wide as possible so that it would have the same capacity (if not more) than a four footer

my return isnt going to be more than 4 feet, but i have heard that eductors create a higher back pressure

i see that i have 3 options, one is the eductor option above

2nd get a seaswirl or two (one on each side)

3rd a 4 way ocean motion

what do you think peeps??

just wanting to get the most bang for my buck

again, keep ocean motion separate from the return. for that size (just over 4 foot?) i would only get a single sea swirl, two is overkill and not a good ROI. an om squirt would probably be suitable (and cheaper) i'd look at probably 2 x iwaki 30rxt's. one for return and one for closed loop. thats around about 7,000lph combined from memory. add the 2 x seio flow (9000lph) and you'd have pretty good (random) water movement for the size. see http://www.oceansmotions.com/ for more details.

two is overkill and not a good ROI

Really, how did you calculate the ROI?

I would reccomend the Sea Swirl. Who not drop the SEIOs and just drill the sides, use a SCWD and a pump, one on each side? Or angled through the bottom aiming up and back with a 45?

Only thing to beware of is the IWAKI are quite noisey, not all of us have the closed loop pumping in another room ;)

Drill the crap out of the tank and dump as many of the in tank pumps as possible.

Pie

I still think that is a very brave move over the longer term.

Why? The same silicone thats used to bung the hole is used to hold the tank together. A fear of drilling a tank is an old skool paranoia, its common practice and i've read or seen little about people having problems. The benifits greatly outweigh the risks.

Pies

Really, how did you calculate the ROI?

Quite simple really (and as per usual, this is IMO):

Single Sea-Swirl with Iwaki 30RXT at 4 foot head = 4300lph. Maximum flow a 1" Sea Swirl will allow is 4350lph. Cost of one 1" SeaSwirl landed = $380.

Two Sea-Swirls with Iwaki 30RXT at 4 foot head still = 4300lph or 2150lph per sea-swirl. Maximum flow a 3/4" Sea Swirl will allow is 3200lph. Cost of two 3/4" SeaSwirls landed = $550.

Bearing in mind that the tank is only 4 foot, pumping 4300lph across a 4 foot tank is quite considerable return flow and will easily reach the opposite corner of the tank. Also bear in mind that if he is looking at an OM setup and already has Seio's, this will provide more than sufficient and random water flow/cross currents against the return. IMO, a single larger sea-swirl pumping massive flow oscillated 90 degrees across the tank is better than two for the extra cost.

Only thing to beware of is the IWAKI are quite noisey

I disagree. (The smaller) Iwaki's are extremely quiet pumps. Pies I hope you are not talking about your Iwaki 100RLT... wouldnt be surprised as it's basically a small motorbike engine.

I still think that is a very brave move over the longer term

Disagree. Silicon is as strong as glass. As Pies says above, benefits outweigh the disadvantages. So long as all holes have ball valves to shut off for maintenance, all threads are wound with teflon tape and all plumbing is sealed with pressure-rated glue, there will be no problems.

So how did you calculate the ROI?

I would have thought that 2 Sea Swirls would have been better than 1. You have more options than you mentioned, like buy a larger return pump and T of the Sea Swirls (like I have), or have 1 of the 2 sea swirls on a closed loop. 2 Sea Swirls dump the Seios. Or use the Seios for under the rock and dump the OM. More current = good.

In some ways I wish I had used 3-4 Sea Swirls and not used my streams. The sweeping current seems to stimulate the coral better than just the big pulsing current in one direction. Sure you get intersecting currents but thats very turbid, no soft gentle flow.

My IWAKI 30 is much noiser than my Eihem 1262s. I wouldn't want it in my lounge or dining room.

Pies

Why? The same silicone thats used to bung the hole is used to hold the tank together. A fear of drilling a tank is an old skool paranoia, its common practice and i've read or seen little about people having problems. The benifits greatly outweigh the risks.

The risk of failure at a bulkhead entry is probably small but it is heightened, relative to the tank joints, by the fact that bulkhead fittings are far more vulnerable to accidental movement than the tank side panels and the glue does not stick particularly well to plastic.

It is not just the risk of a failure, even just a slight dribble (much more likely than a complete failure), but the consequences of such a failure that I choose to avoid. Perhaps having already had to empty one 1600L tank to fix a leak I am a bit paranoid, but now everything is worked out on a risk x consequences basis, not just on a risk basis and everything with a high consequence score is worked around if possible.

Time will tell, as they say, and I really hope I am never able to say 'I told you so' (which of course I wouldn't do if such a crisis did arise).

Steve

return on investment is calculated by considering the benefit divided by the investment amount (and typically shown as a percentage) although i am also bearing in mind that he only has a 4 foot tank. i've used the term loosely here so if you are being pedantic and want to change it for a better term, then use 'in my opinion, the extra cost versus the benefit it will return for a 4 foot tank is not justified if you are also considering having a separate closed loop'. put that money towards an OM device and have insane circulation within your main tank rather than from your return.

You have more options than you mentioned, like buy a larger return pump

ok, so this adds even more to the cost of the return. not that im disagreeing with the theory, im trying to help justify to brian (and problably to his wife as well) every cent he spends and the benefits or disadvantages he will receive from his investment.

btw you must have a faulty Iwaki. other than a faint whirrr, my 55rlt is quiet as - the only noise is the vibration of the timber it's screwed onto.

btw you must have a faulty Iwaki. other than a faint whirrr, my 55rlt is quiet as - the only noise is the vibration of the timber it's screwed onto.

Its not faulty, it just makes a bit of noise, the whurr is just a whurrr but its noisy, particualry compared to the Ehiems. Would you have your Iwaki in your lounge? I find the 1262s so distracting I turn them off during the time when I am in the house. My 100 does sound like a small motorbike :)

Just messing with you with the ROI thing, as its not a term i've ever heard when considering equipment purchase for the fish tank, as ultimatly the ROI is probably 0 (or less than 0 if you choose to be picky).

SteveA - I would tell me I told you so :) Seriously though, if I thought there was even a miniscule chance of a hole leaking I would't have put 7 through my tank, but I know there isn't. They are glued on both sides, thats 1 extra side over the glass itself :) I don't think the risk is any more than theoretical.

Swiss cheese the tank! :)

Pie

the super squirt looks like a good product, so its either that or the 90 degree sea swirl

No experance with the OM myself, the people who have purchased them appear to be very happy with them. I have sea swirls, and they come highly reccomended, I give them 10/10.

That being said, if its a choice between the 2, and you decide the OM is something you want, I would choose this first. If you look at Chimeras tank/sump thread you will see how hard it is to retrofit the OM. The sea swirl can be added in a snap, much easier to setup. So if you get the OM first, and decide later that you want a Sea Swirl, you can add it afterwards, very hard to do it the other way around.

Pie

House price will come down. NZ can't continue to over spend so when the correction comes dollar will fall along with house prices but may be interest rates could rise. Either way your better of waiting, u have more deposit house prices are lower, could save u 10s of thousands. I've just spent 3 years doing up my place, repiled reroofed and everything inbetween. Wont be doing this again, even being in trade it was to much of my free time taken up. I'm planning my next house around to 3 tanks I want, Discus, Predator and Salt. By the way I'm a Rep 4 an export company so don't know every thing but heres hopeing I'm rigth or I could be out of a job.

BK - I hope your wrong. Interest rates are rising at the moment, but there is no evidence of house property falling. Definatly slowing down though. I can't invisage house property falling, many people want it to, but I think in reality it won't happen. I certainly hope it does't.

So to offer completelty different advice to BK, I would say the sooner you buy the better of you will be. At least this is how owning homes has worked out for me.

Piezola