my new tank thread

Brianemone

i can see it slowing to a crawl, not falling though unless there is some kind of depression scenario, people arent willing to sell for less than they buy unless they are forced to.

at the moment we live walking distance from my work and so i save 50 dollars a fortnight on parking/petrol and then there is the time factor.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes all good points. But i do beleive that prices will fall when the dollar comes of and if the banks aren't getting the same return for there dollar (not locally but internationaly) the money will leave our shores and if you cant service your debt the banks will sell. We have at the moment an econ that is being push by housing market and this is not surstainable as our products have increase in value or volume to match the increase in hosuing price so when this adjusts things will go the other way and the only way to stop this is it the export market takes of. Its all up or down, higher means lower. All the best with your tank and the house. Price in chch aren't that bad if you can handle the frost.

BK - I hope your wrong. Interest rates are rising at the moment, but there is no evidence of house property falling. Definatly slowing down though. I can't invisage house property falling, many people want it to, but I think in reality it won't happen. I certainly hope it does't.

So to offer completelty different advice to BK, I would say the sooner you buy the better of you will be. At least this is how owning homes has worked out for me.

Piezola

I agree. House prices won't drop (especially in ChCh), might plateau for a bit, maybe a few more mortgagee sales if interest rates rise too much.

The best time to by property is always today.

Layton

Its all luke really, got my first house about 8 years ago and lost money stright away on it (on paper). House prices do go down and I can remember when interest rates were at 25% and it wasn't that long age that the Auckland market was dieing and people lost money. We have to look at NZ as if it was a preson. If that preson was sending more than they made they would have to sell someting to make the difference up, if you can't sell anything it gets taken of you and sold for less. It dosen't take much to make things go the other way. This is just my opinion and could be completely wrong.

with all respect

House prices can go up and down, and incredibly fast both ways! The market NEVER goes just sideways, thats impossible.. think about it. Given this everyone is always trying to pick the bit just before the top to sell...... how many do you think get it right?

In general in NZ house price history shows that during downturns houses do move down in real $$$ terms, approx 8-9% PA in AKL in past. But for the buyer the significant thing is that the quality of the stock available goes up, and if you hold a dump... best you do not have to sell.

The banks fund their mortgage books offshore, in general at the NZ base rate + a little bit, and they have to manage the exchange risk. in general the book is a 2 year average fund, thus the banks are slightly exposed to 5 year fixed lenders, thats why they encourage 2 year fixes 8)

While our doller is held high by our high interest rates (called a high yielding currency) this will all change rapidly as/when the US economy recovers and the FED starts tighting.

We have a MIGRATION lead economy.. and migrants need houses, if the economy turns down (something every bank economist in the country is forecasting) the gumint can ease immigration rules if necessary to spur economy.

The biggest mistake most people make is to buy there first house and live in it themselves... financially / tax wise, thats so stupid.....

House prices can and do go into negitive equity situations (you owe more on mortgage then the house is worth) ... its happened here before and in the UK!

Do i think the market will crash? only if we have a major event (foot and mouth for real, massive international war (taiwan/china scenarios?) flu that kills 1 in 20 people would do it!

in other words, probably over our life times, we will see 1 event capable of dropping houses prices about 30% overnight.......

its much more likely we will see only inflation growth or even a 8%ish fall in selling prices for a year or two, our base rate is very high, the RBNZ can cut it a long way to spur buying.... they want a soft landing

remember if you are in trouble with the rest of the population, the banks are in bigger trouble :D

last point, if the house you are looking at is 300k and it goes up only 5% while you wait, before tax you have to make an extra 20k just to stand still? can you do that?

I own multiple residential rentals via LAQC, and my own homwe trust owned. I would not personally be buying, the right time to be buying stopped about 2 years ago, now is a good time to be lightening up a bit. take some profit and tuck some cash away for bad times 8)

if you do not own it depends on how long you see yourself being in that one place? in times of recession it helps to be mobile to get a job.......

I would probably be doing the auction rounds checking out whats out there, making low but not stupid offers etc, i would fix the mortgage for 18 months as we should be in a falling int rate position by then and then i go onto floating for about 24-30 months then I would fix for as long as i could if the rates where low.... I am personally fixed at 6.45% for 5 years with just under 4 left to run on all my properties. interest rates tend to run in long cycles. we are near the top, no point fixing long term now, but flaoating about 9% vs 7.8% for 18-24months, so fix to get that 1.2% saving.

Depending on others circumstances.....

Married with family and stable job... buy a home! stability is a good thing for famillies.

Single .... buy an investment property, if you can find a bargin... don't be in a hurry, market feels very toppy outside of AKL. migrantas only seem to want to live in akl. do not live in it yourself! just let it run as a tax loss.

also akl seeing a lot of Aussie buyers... when they invest here no cap gain tax or high duty's etc... its pushing akl higher still......

DO NOT TOUCH APARTMENTS.. in 50 years your house will be worth next to nothing and you will own 10 sq m in body corp with 20 others duh....

IMHO if a property cannot show you at least 6% yield, leave it alone.... also i would not peronally touch investment property outside the 4 major NZ citys AKL,WGTN,CHCH,Dunedin

the regions have a history of being hit hard in recessions............ the AKL economy is the engine of NZ excluding agriculture... it will be hit first but also recover first.

I personally think that inner city villas close to AKL center with good school zones are the safest games in town. they just cannot build enough roads up here, eliminating the commute will be a major purchasing factor.......

Back to me now

Ocean motion doesnt do a 240v version of the squirt (only the 4 way)

They definitely do a 240V version of the squirt. Paul had these available before he had the 240V motors for the 4 ways.

Just send him an e-mail (address from the website). He provides the best service around!!

And yes, I LOVE my OM 4-way 8) and would recommend it to anyone interested in increasing their flow via closed loop!!

...not just because i own one, but because it works - i rate the OM 10/10. you seriously wont believe how well it provides random water movement (simply because of the drum alternating outlets) in the tank. i find it hard to feed flake in the mornings coz it gets thrown all around the place! i chuck it hard up in one corner which seems to do the trick. combined with a sea-swirl im most impressed with my new washing machine :D

my bad i wasnt very clear in my question.

Why install it on the closed loop as opposed to the return from sump?

my thinking is to have 4 holes towards the top of the tank and just go with a scwd type setup, back and forth from one to the other.

that way the closed loop can be for lower down, like a spray bar setup to elimanate deadspots under rock work

Heres a rough idea of what i have planned

tankflow.jpg

the green is out and the red is in. :-? water goes down the over flow and through under tank sump etc. back up through the little giant (insert model here) through the ocean motion squirt and into the tank, im thinking like a squid setup.

then the other holes are for the closed loop one intake and two outlets under the main rock work of the tank.

suggestions??

oh and what size should the holes be???

Look at that. Reading in the paper today that the average house price has dropped between 3-5% over the last quater. Now you can get a bigger house and bigger tank. I think this market could continue to trend down for the next 12 months and depending on who wins the elections ,may be longer.

i think you will need a second outlet at the bottom of the tank, you have too many holes into the tank and not enough out (unless the single hole is massive!) remember water being drawn OUT of the tank also creates water movement around it (not as much obviously as being pumped back in). your spray bars should have holes all the way around to disperse flow back, forward and upwards - im sure you knew that you just didnt add more red arrows :D it's important to design your aquascaping first and layout your spray bars around that. holes should not be too close to the edges of the tank.

the reason i say dont put return back into squirt is simply because i like things modular :D in other words, i like to keep the closed loop and return completely separate, if your return pump fails, you can fix it independantly of the other (and still have good water flow). you can perform maintenance on your closed loop without effecting your return (and visa versa)

i would think 4 holes at the top/back is over kill and i would seriously consider a (about 3/4") sea-swirl if i were you (in fact, i wouldnt consider it, i would have it as a must) you could consider putting 2 holes in the back instead of 4, have them at the back left and back centre then you can have your sea-swirl (or whatever you use for return) mounted at the back right. then, have the other 2 holes on the sides. i also assume you will continue using your seio's - if so, then use these at the front to point slightly down and towards the back of the closed loop flow to create some turbulence. this is how i've done mine - i've been testing water flow in the tank with this method and it works very well.

also you are better off putting the overflow hole at the back glass rather than in the bottom. i would also consider a square shape overflow as a triangular one will be a mission to fit a durso standpipe.

remember that (as joeblog recommended to me) that you want the OM squirt outlets to all go back into the tank at or near the top. the spray bars should be T'd off from the pump outlet separately (prior to the squirt) - or if you are really game have more outlets and a separate dedicated pump(s) for the spray bars similar to pies setup.