Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Aqua One Aquis Canister Filters

Featured Replies

Hi guys!

Have any of you had any experience with the Aqua One Aquis Canister Filters? You can see them here on HFF's website.

I can't find any information, reviews, or even forum posts about them. Are they known as a different name elsewhere?

 - Dev

They're good, I've been running 2-3 for the last 5+ years.  Never had a problem with them.  CF1200s are the filter I always suggest when someone asks what filter to get.

  • Author

They're good, I've been running 2-3 for the last 5+ years.  Never had a problem with them.  CF1200s are the filter I always suggest when someone asks what filter to get.

Awesome! Thanks for that. Are they quiet enough for a room aquarium?

Awesome! Thanks for that. Are they quiet enough for a room aquarium?

As quiet as any others I've had.  Would depend on if it's in a cabinet, how close to your bet, how sensitive you are, etc.  I don't notice mine making any noise unless I get close to them or they've gotten really dirty so they buzz a bit.  

Yes they are as quiet as any others.  Try searching CF1200, CF1000 as thats what they originally were called.

They still are called CF1200 etc.

Great filters. The only downside is that they are about double the wattage of an Eheim equivalent filter. If you aren't worried about that then get one.

Equivalent how?  CF1200 according to specs is rated at 1200lph and looks like 22 watts.  Closest flow Eheim looks to be the Professional 3, 1250 at 18.  The 4 watt difference will pay back the $510 price difference Let's see....58 years. assuming $.25/kwh. :)

Equivalent how?  CF1200 according to specs is rated at 1200lph and looks like 22 watts.  Closest flow Eheim looks to be the Professional 3, 1250 at 18.  The 4 watt difference will pay back the $510 price difference Let's see....58 years. assuming $.25/kwh. :)

Sorry I should of been clearer. For example an Aqua one CF1000 is good for up to 200L and is 30W compared to say an Eheim 2213 which is good for up to 250L and is 8w.

Or if you want to compare by flow then a Eheim 2071 is 12w and good for up to 250L at 950L/hr but yeah the 2071 is way more expensive. The 2213 is only $20 more brand new but you can pick them up on trademe for between $50-$100.

Edited by land_lubber

Don't know if I'd trust an eheim to even manage half the rated volume.  I had a 2213 on a 100L tank and it couldn't even handle that,  dirty water, clogged  up within a week or two.  Replaced it with a Fluval 404 and it improved hugely.  Though, now I'd have replaced it with a CF1200.

Don't know if I'd trust an eheim to even manage half the rated volume.  I had a 2213 on a 100L tank and it couldn't even handle that,  dirty water, clogged  up within a week or two.  Replaced it with a Fluval 404 and it improved hugely.  Though, now I'd have replaced it with a CF1200.

I think that's the case with most filters though. The Eheim classic filters are a pain to clean and get clogged up quicker.

  • Author

Wow! I've hardly ever had any problem with my Eheim filters. I've used their canisters as well as the internal pickup variants and I've been more than happy. I find they aren't the best if you're looking for crystal clear water, but as a biological filter I have 0 complaints. 

The only Eheim filters I personally can't stand are their Aquaball ones, they really do get clogged after hardly any use. :\ They've got ones out now called biopower that look similar, haven't tried them though as I was so disappointed with the Aquaball...

Edited by Devrens

Never had an issue with the Aquaone CF1200 filters. Used them on about four different setups. The Eheim 2213 didn't last a month on a 100L tank - bio-filtration may be great, but without additional mechanical filtration, you're wasting your time.

Interesting thread as I'm about to buy a CF1200 as a secondary filter for my 200 litre, glad there's some positive feedback on it. Will be fun to see how it compares to the Fluval 304 in the next few months :D 

  • 4 years later...
On 11/26/2015 at 6:37 PM, Ira said:

Don't know if I'd trust an eheim to even manage half the rated volume.  I had a 2213 on a 100L tank and it couldn't even handle that,  dirty water, clogged  up within a week or two.  Replaced it with a Fluval 404 and it improved hugely.  Though, now I'd have replaced it with a CF1200.

Do you find CF 1200 perform  much better than the other two?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.