Yikes...

Devrens

Is that on the damage or the tank? Or just any of it in general? Man insurance can be scammy sometimes!

Both.  Damage to house (carpets, underlay, wall boards) 10K.  Tank wasn't covered. I chucked out the heaters as wasn't prepared to test them but my filter was still working.  The onus was on me to get the stereo speakers tested and if they were not proven to be ruined then I paid for the testing (this required the speaker cabinets to be ripped apart due to the construction of them) - the cost of testing was more than the cost of replacement speakers so we just purchased new ones.  400 litres on the floor.

Before someone asks it was AMI and the year was 2012 - when they were reeling from the ChCh quake claims.

My tank split years ago and insurance would not pay out as the tank was not purchased brand new.

Hi Adrienne! Any particular reason that it split? I would really love to have a big tank eventually, but as a new homeowner I'm terrified of the possible disaster waiting to happen. :(

I'm sure my wife would divorce me if one of my aquariums did $10k in damage to our home. >_>

Edited by Devrens

Split - why did it split?  The silicone let go down the vertical left rear seam.  Did we have something like a quake etc?- I don't know.  I had been overseas in Africa and Europe for three months, returning to NZ for six days and then headed off to a conference in Melbourne for a week. It was on the last morning there that my phone started to go beserk.

There would have been more damage but the stand cabinet has a small amount of bracing which sits around the bottom of the tank and this prevented it splitting totally.  One of the top braces had fallen in to the tank so whether it let go while we were away which put more pressure on the seams I can't say but I don't remember noticing it in the one water change I did myself.

The major cost was the replacement carpet and underlay which was deemed to be a health hazard with the amount of water/fish waste.  The rest went in drying out the rather large lounge we had at the time.

I think the main thing to remember is to make sure your insurance will cover contents including carpets, flooring etc as well as your possessions.  Tanks when first purchased (custom builds) can still be drying so when you first put them on the stand they then dry to fit that particular surface.  If you then move the tank and put it on another surface or turn it around you stress the glass if the two surfaces are not identical in their levels.  That is why the insurance company wanted to know if it was new and wanted to see the receipts.