Fish for Aquaponics

audiox

I am in the process of setting up an aquaponics system and would really like to stock my system with an edible fish variety to provide food for the table to go along with the vegies it will produce.

The choices available seem pretty limited however perch would make a great option. Does anyone know where I could purchase some fingerlings or junior fish?

If not, is it possible / legal to catch them from natural waterways? I am in Southland and I believe they are in abundance down here. Can anyone point me in the right direction for learning how to catch, care for and transport them?

Perch are a pest fish and therefore it is illegal to posses live specimens.

In New Zealand options are very limited. Goldfish are a possibility (I don't imagine they'd taste very good though) Tropical fish are another possibility, maybe oscars? Another option would be mullet, not sure if this has been attempted yet.

Perch are a pest fish and therefore it is illegal to posses live specimens.

In New Zealand options are very limited. Goldfish are a possibility (I don't imagine they'd taste very good though) Tropical fish are another possibility, maybe oscars? Another option would be mullet, not sure if this has been attempted yet.

Tasman Bay Herbs started experimenting with aquaponics using grass carp in 2010. I don't know whether it has been successful from the fish side but the vegetables and herbs were selling well. He was going to liaise with chefs to find recipes for the carp.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/nelson-mail/lifestyle-entertainment/3397569/Fish-used-to-grow-veges

Perch are classified as a "Sports Fish" like trout and salmon rather then a pest fish.  Because of this they come under the Freshwater Fisheries regulations and are under the control / management of Fish and Game.  To catch them you need a licence and unfortunately like trout the regulations prohibit keeping them in captivity with out written permission form Fish and Game.  You can contact them and see what they say, I think they would be more worried about somebody starting to sell the fish commercially then keeping them at home for your own consumption.

Perch would be good - grow up to 2kg and I hear they are good eating!

I have looked at this extensively - there in no other practical option in NZ to use anything but Goldfish for aquaponics. You could use common large growing tropical fish that you can legally buy in pet shops, but I'm not sure I would want to eat those. You should not eat Goldfish anyway. Just use them to grow your plants.

Tropical fish = heating costs but all  year round waste producers

Goldfish = no heating costs, minimal waste output over winter months

The brown bullhead catfish which is a pest spread throughout the Waikato would be a great option for NZ aquaponics. Apparently they taste nice if fed a decent (clean) diet and not scavenging off unknown river waste. I think DOC are unlikely to allow this to anyone but a serious commercial venture under strict control, so back to the Goldfish option..

I have looked at this extensively - there in no other practical option in NZ to use anything but Goldfish for aquaponics. You could use common large growing tropical fish that you can legally buy in pet shops, but I'm not sure I would want to eat those. You should not eat Goldfish anyway. Just use them to grow your plants.

Tropical fish = heating costs but all  year round waste producers

Goldfish = no heating costs, minimal waste output over winter months

The brown bullhead catfish which is a pest spread throughout the Waikato would be a great option for NZ aquaponics. Apparently they taste nice if fed a decent (clean) diet and not scavenging off unknown river waste. I think DOC are unlikely to allow this to anyone but a serious commercial venture under strict control, so back to the Goldfish option..

http://aquariumworld.nz/fish/articles-guides/pest-fish/brown-bullhead-r48/

• 2 weeks later...

Been trialing aquaponics intensively now for a few months. Love it. Been growing strawberries over winter under full spectrum LED grow lights. Check out the video that shows our 500liter mixed African cichlid aquarium which provides us with strawberries, basil, mesculin mix and water cress. Make sure you watch it in HD.

AquaPonic Aquarium Small Plants.jpg

AquaPonic Aquarium Small.jpg

Orchid Tang Tank.jpg

Edited by Likoma

Wow, that Pothos is looking good!!

I believe Oscars aren't bad to eat, they grow fast, eat lots and are easy enough to breed. Yes you've got heating costs and I don't know if it would be commercially viable, but a small pool full of oscars in a heated/insulated shed could be a good option for aquaponics.

Edited by David R

• 4 weeks later...