What is your fish keeping story?

I'll start:

When I was about 3 I got a goldfish for Christmas and I was happy with that until one day when we were shopping at Palmers garden centre Hastings. Out the back I spotted a shop called Aqua fever. I went in and I was immediately emersed in a fishy paradise but the things that caught my eye were the turtles. I pleaded my parents for ages before they gave in. When we went back to get more turtle food I went to have a look at the fish and I spotted the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. It was a marderin fish. Half a year later I brought a freshwater tropical tank for a marderin fish :facepalm:. After some help from aqua fever I settled with freshwater tropical fish. After a while I wanted to expand and I went from one tank to multiple tanks and back to one. Now I'm 11 and I have four tropical tanks and more recently I have set up two native tanks with advice from blueether and kiwiraka along the way.

I was given a turtle who had been neglected and was living in a bucket, my mate who took it off the owner also gave me a tank and a couple of kribs to feed it with, turns out it had no chance of getting the fish as it was too munted.

A couple weeks later someone I know bought some guppies for hr coldwater tank without realising they were not compatible, so in they went a well. This bought on tank number two and away she went....

Other then goldfish it started for me when my dad bought a big tank off trademe it came with some very neglected black widow tetras and golden barbs when my dad went to pick up the tank the water was solid black! We did not use this tank for a while and the tetras and barbs went in with two goldfish in a smaller tank non heated tank and actually suvived for over a year active and healthy then we set up the bigger tank we got plecs cichlids clown loachs gourami and tetras that went one for a while then we down sized completely as dad no longer wanted the tank but we could find a home for the big Pleco and the jack dempey so we had to keep it raning the pleco got far to big for the tank so we donated him to the winter gardens where he now lives in a big glass house pond dad gave the tank and jack dempey to a friend at this point I only had my gold fish fatso left she has about 8 I took her down to wellington on my lab on the plane she went well for a quite a few mouths until we had to put her down because of swim bladder problems I had gotten some other goldfish to keep her company then but about a year later when I was on holiday the tank had a melt down and killed them all I had a completely pink one now I just have my little tropical tank with Corys tetras loaches and some little sucker cats I am in the process of getting them in to a much bigger tank and in case your wondering well I was in auckland these latest hoilydays my dawf puffer died he never so much as snipped a single fin

When I was 15 or 16 (way back in the dark ages) my dad built a pond in the backyard (I have a photo somewhere of my friend and I swimming in it before he added the goldfish).

Up until then we had some goldfish inside in a bowl. Once a week they would get poured into a jug while the stones and bowl got scrubbed out in hot soapy water then rinsed, filled up with very cold water direct from the well, then the fish were thrown back in for another week. Not only did they survive this regime but they went on to live long productive lives in the pond.

Once married, Grant and I decided a fish tank would be interesting so we went to the local garden centre (our only option) and were told all the wrong things, sold the wrong things, sold the wrong fish - you name it, we did it wrong.

Then came an advert in the local paper from people wanting others interested in starting a fish club. We went to that meeting (Feb 1989) and have been in the Marlborough Aquarium Club, followed by the FNZAS (1992), ever since. Thankfully our fish keeping also improved once we were better informed (no internet or Google in those days!) and have acquired, over the years, an extensive fish keeping library.

At the height of our fish keeping we had 18 tanks spread throughout the house, including 2 or 3 each in the kids' rooms. This was because we often kept incompatible fish so always needed "just one more tank" to house the latest acquisition. We have kept tropical freshwater and cold and a local cold marine over the years.

We now only have 1 x 280L freshwater tropical, filled with geriatrics plus a few younger ones who keep spawning and so keep the fish levels relatively stable plus a large goldfish pond.

At the auckland pet show many many years ago (I was about 8 or 9 then), right at the end of the day when everything was closing up me and I managed to convince my parents to impulse buy me a small aqua one fish tank.

I think it was the next weekend that we went animates and bought a few guppies (no one had taught me or parents about cycling, so tank was not cycled). When we got home after adding the guppies one of them died, and I was devastated by it (you can tell it must have scared me for life as I still remember it now).

Since then I have only moved onwards and up wards with more and better tanks.

Also thankfully I now know what cycling a tank is.

• 2 months later...

Good question. I was young and dumb and thought one day I'm gona buy a tank and keep gold fish how hard could it be? Water ,stones a few plants and fish easy right? Wrong! I feel bad now looking back at the poor fish that got stuck with me. The tank went cloudy with in a week or two and when I found out why I was gutted then I started to loose some fish. So I gave remaining fish to a friends pond. Years later and lots of study I set up a tropical tank and cycled it and slowly built up. Now I have natives and a guppy tank soon to be two and still have some empty tanks. Yikes I think I'm hooked!

I've had goldfish from the ages of around 4 to about 10, we moved overseas and I decided I wanted more goldfish bought a 20L (which i still have) and bought 3 goldfish for it. Then realised I needed to upgrade, bought a 100L tank of TM it came with 2 apple snails and 3 goldfish. I then decided it wasn't enough and wanted tropicals and my parents bought me a 500L tank. Right now I'm 13 I have a 500L community tank, 150L Planted Livebearer tank, Planted 6L jar and a 70L tank with 2 small axolotls. Thank-god my parents love me....

The first Christmas after I was married my husband bought me a fish tank. This is back in the dark ages like Caryl, and like Caryl I was told the wrong things and took the tank stones, filter and fish + food home, but they all survived. Kept fish for about 8 years and then due to moving around the country with three children under five took a break for about 6 years. On moving to Auckland I set up to breed siamese fighters and at the height of breeding had around 24 tanks dedicated to these fish. Three years ago after hip and then back surgery we moved to a smaller house so I sold up all my breeding tanks. I joined Marlborough Club and then went on to the FNZAS Exec 5 years ago, and am still on it and still remain a MAC member, despite living in Auckland. I now have a 450 litre planted discus tank, a 215 litre planted angel fish tank and a 250 litre marine tank. Currently considering purchasing 4-6 54 litre tanks and breeding some fighters again but thats another story. :)

more recently I have set up two native tanks with advice from blueether and kiwiraka along the way.

That's me! :wave:

Anyway :wink:, where did it start... I think I would've been about six when my parents set up a family tank. So we chose a fish each plus the apple snails that multiplied from 3-20 very quickly.... We ended up with common goldfish (mine), a betta, a common pleco and a neon tetra (petshop advice)

A year or two after they all died.... I got a turtle tank with four red eared sliders for christmas, they were awesome pets :) but sadly when we moved up north from the wellington region we had to sell them...

After moving up north I started breeding goldfish (kept what I liked and gave the rest away)

One to two years ago I traded 12 goldfish for about 8 small koura, that obviously didnt work out in a small tank :facepalm:

So a year and 300 litres later I'm obsessed with native fish :roll: