Blackworms

kiwiraka

If you want to culture them put them in an aquarium with about 10mm of fine clean gravel and feed on kitten biscuits (higher protein that cat biscuits). Presoak a few and then break them up into a mush and spread them around the tank so they all get to feed. A small sponge filter with an aerator in a corner helps too.

I might be able to post some to you adrienne, I'd have to use an old fish food container though (Any tips on posting them? Ie full of water, half full? In sand or just loose in the water?)

If I had them in a tank could I use fine sand as substrate? Is a 30 litre tank big enough?

Thanks

You put the mud and worm mix in a bucket and cover it to keep it dark. As the worms move about the mud settles and you keep tipping the water off. Eventually the worms run out of O2 and come to the surface and you scrape them off with your hand and leave the mud behind. Return that to the pond and the ones that are left will multiply---particularly if you feed them.

You put the mud and worm mix in a bucket and cover it to keep it dark. As the worms move about the mud settles and you keep tipping the water off. Eventually the worms run out of O2 and come to the surface and you scrape them off with your hand and leave the mud behind. Return that to the pond and the ones that are left will multiply---particularly if you feed them.

Thanks!

Lol, I'll have to see how many I can get out of the substrate before I make any commitments.

I was under the impression they were common?

It seems to be that they're easy to find but no one is willing to sell any of their hoards :P City kid with no access to a pond here - and I'd rather get them from somewhere which is hopefully "kinda" disease free (as opposed to a random location).

Lol, okay. Should be disease free ( No history of any parasites or diseases with the goldfish that have been in there for the last 2-3 years.

I'll see what I can do tomorrow, tried scooping some out before but they just shoot into the substrate when the water is disturbed, so I'll have to shovel larges amounts of substrate out into buckets to try alanmins suggestion.

Tubifex are further in the mud and Lumbriculus are on the surface of the mud. If you get them out of the mud and you touch them lumbriculus "swim" and tubifex retreat into a weee house they carry with them.. The story goes that tubifex carry more disease. In a previous life we used to take heaps out of the river and sell them to the pet shops and everybody had to have some. They were sold as tubifex but would have been lumbriculus. They have cleaned the rivers up now so nothing for them to feed on. People think they live on filth but they feed on the wasted protein in discharges from freezing works etc. You need to get the concentrations up high so they run out of oxygen and come to the surface.