Koi legal in public collections?

Aquateur

I guess if you're allowed to keep you know, lions, tigers and elephants - koi aren't such a problem. Unlike the aforementioned though, people might think seeing them in a public setting is "normalizing" behavior, encouraging the keeping of them in private ponds.

Perhaps they should do a "Koi are bad" exhibit with smelly green water next to a nice clear pond with native wildlife.

Auckland Zoo used to have them as well; although I haven't been for ages.

Koi  carp are classed as a unwanted organism under the Biosecurity Act 1993 and an approval under the Biosecurity Act is required from the Ministry for Primary Industries, general enquiries phone 0800008383.

Koi are also a noxious fish under  the Freshwater Fisheries Regulations 1983 and an approval from the Department is needed.  Regulation 65 deals with the control of noxious fish and states that no person shall have in his possession or under his control, or rear, raise, hatch, or consign any noxious fish. 

The Department of Conservation is unlikely to approve any permit to hold a noxious species, unless it is for research/education purposes.

I knew I asked about it! I think it was after visiting the trout centre.....

interesting content, but could have been presented in a much more engaging manner :)

People like you and me that are interested enough to read it all probably know most of it anyway

And everyone else probably says, "Look, giant goldfish!"