September 23, 201412 yr comment_554651 A friend gave me a Blue Planet 50 Litre tank a couple weeks ago. I had the water tested at Animates and it is all apparently good. I currently have in it 5 Pygmy Cories, and 4 Cardinal Tetras (had 6 but two died, will get two more soon). I'm tossing up between putting a male Betta in it or two Kissing Gouramis, Which would do best in the tank? Or is there any species that would be better suited to live in the tank? I'd ideally like one or two bigger fish as well as the Cories and Tetras that are already there. Report
September 23, 201412 yr comment_554654 They look like neon tetra to me. Kissing gourami will grow too big for the tank. Dwaft gourami will be more suited. Report
September 23, 201412 yr comment_554655 Definitely Neon's, Cardinals red line continues through the length of the body Dwarf Gourami a good option for your tank as Discusguru has mentioned :thup: Welcome to the world of Fishkeeping :bounce: Report
September 23, 201412 yr comment_554659 Yeah, the vicious fighting faceripper gouramis can get up to into the 20cm range. Report
September 23, 201412 yr Author comment_554679 Thanks for the replies and letting me know that they're Neons not Cardinals! Good to know for when I get another couple! I'm not that interested in Dwarf Gouramis, they are pretty though! Would a male betta be okay in the tank? (with the little tank mates?) Report
September 24, 201412 yr comment_554688 It should be fine provided the filter is not to strong. Report
October 18, 201411 yr Author comment_555751 Just a quick update! I did end up getting two more neon tetras and then a beautiful betta (although his tail is slightly ripped but he swims around fine). Report
October 18, 201411 yr comment_555761 Neons and cardanals (sometimes glow lights to)will school together as well as black neon tetras so you could get a bit more variety Report
October 18, 201411 yr Author comment_555765 Neons and cardanals (sometimes glow lights to)will school together as well as black neon tetras so you could get a bit more variety I do reckon it may look a bit better if they had a slightly bigger school - what size school would you say is an okay size for the tank? (There are currently 6 tetras) Report
October 18, 201411 yr comment_555766 Ive kept tetras for a very long time i i would say if you got some more plants you could have 14 heres the numbers i would get 3 glow lights 3 black neons 2 cardinals as they all tend to school together Report
October 19, 201411 yr comment_555775 I disagree The smaller the tank the fewer species you should have. Larger numbers of one type look a lot better than a few of several. Report
October 19, 201411 yr comment_555777 I disagree The smaller the tank the fewer species you should have. Larger numbers of one type look a lot better than a few of several. Agreed. Also hello and enjoy to life of fish keeping. Your betta is nice! Report
November 25, 201411 yr comment_556970 Lovely betta you have there. Watch out he does not attack and kill the other fish, generally they do not do well in community tanks and should be kept alone, however in some cases they do well. that nice long tail of his might go bye bye when those other little nippers have a go at it ( just watch out for them taking chucks out of his tail) Report
November 25, 201411 yr comment_556971 Hate to be a nit picker but the Pygmy Cories would appreciate sand; they spend all day sifting around in it. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.