2000L tank, nearly one year on.

David R

I've been pretty slack with posting updates on my tank, and TBH there hasn't been much going on at all with it. Water quality still really good despite changing only 10-25% weekly and feeding fairly heavily. Pothos + pond matrix is certainly doing the business. The fish have been growing really well, with the biggest surprise being the Panaques. I constantly hear they're incredibly slow growing but with plenty of space and lots of good food (NLS) these guys are bulking up fast. Anyway, here's some pics!

Blacky is probably around 2' now, fins still ragged but eating like a pig and otherwise healthy.

IMG_6737Large_zps95bb3b33.jpg

IMG_6930Large_zps14e2c201.jpg

Largest L190

IMG_6804Large_zps6752148b.jpg

Starting to get some serious whiskers now.

IMG_6843Large_zps80cf51ee.jpg

The Panaques are still making a huge mess, but readily come out with the lights on to feed, usually stirring up large amounts of sawdust with their squabbling. The settling chamber + Poret are still doing a great job of handling the large amount of physical waste.

IMG_6886Large_zpsa744fec6.jpg

L190 'Thin Stripe'

IMG_6899Large_zps35774ce0.jpg

Another L190

IMG_6897Large_zps1665f3e5.jpg

Pterophyllum scalare 'Peru Altum'. I'd love to get another dozen or so of these.

IMG_6717Large_zps90e68467.jpg

XL Royal Whiptail

IMG_6802Large_zps6e9f96cd.jpg

Baryancistrus L81

IMG_6742Large_zps25bc917c.jpg

Two of the L14

IMG_6948Large_zps74751305.jpg

Closer, zoomed in through ~70cm of water!

IMG_6947Large_zpsc57e37cf.jpg

With one of the L190s for size comparison, the L14 haven't grown as fast as I expected. They're still a little reclusive but do come out and feed during the day.

IMG_6940Large_zps8638b12d.jpg

Feeding time.

IMG_6777Large_zps4acc9785.jpg

And of course, the full tank shot.

IMG_6878Large_zpscc1bcb73.jpg

Despite throwing in copious amounts of food I couldn't tempt the L128's out, which is a shame as they look great at their adult size. I didn't get any good shots of the Geophagus either, but they're just same old really. I'm sure I must have six males as there has been no sign of breeding whatsoever.

So where to now? Of course I can't just sit back and leave it alone, I haven't bought a new fish in nearly two years and it is driving me crazy! I'm contemplating selling the arowana to give me more flexibility with the stocking. As much as I love him I think another dozen angels plus a school of a few hundred cardinal tetras, a big group of corydoras, and a whole bunch of other little fish will make the tank more interesting. We'll see....

what is making Blacky's fins look ragged?

I wish I knew! The water is really good, not more than 10-15ppm of nitrate before a water change, and TDS <80ppm. The angels, geos and whiptail all have massive extensions on their fins, so I don't think it is some sort of "fin rot". I have posted on MFK about it and some people have said theirs have always been the same, others said they've never seen it before. Regardless, he is eating well and otherwise healthy, so I'm not too concerned.

The driftwood is certainly getting smaller! If you look at this pic of the stump when the tank was first set up you can see how much small stuff has been removed from around the base of it;

IMG_8898Medium_zpse027891c.jpg

I might have to put some more regular pieces in there to feed them so they don't wear the stump down to nothing!

• 1 month later...
Can we have a new full tank shot?

Heh, I took some this morning, but 50 little fish completely disappear into a tank that size so it really isn't that interesting.

400 lemons would be pretty damn cool, but I'm actually thinking about adding another species. I would really love cardinals but suspect they will be an expensive snack, I think that the tank is lacking something blue though.