April 9, 201412 yr comment_548683 Corys, Possibly a pair of dwarf cichlids, Barbs, Bumble Bee gobys, Threadfin Rainbows, Dwarf Puffers. Report
April 9, 201412 yr comment_548689 Anabantoids: Honey gourami, thicklipped gourami, dwarf gourami, indian banded gourami, siamese fighters - sparkling and chocolate too but these are a bit more "expert" fish Rasboras: Most kinds as far as I'm aware. Rainbows: Threadfins, furcata rainbow, celebes rainbow (all of these are quite shy fish and can't be around fin-nippers) Pencilfish (timid), dwarf cichlids (apistos, rams), danios, killifish (also often shy fish), barbs (fin-nippers) etc. Bottom dwellers would be otos, small whiptails, "fancy" small plecos (I personally find anything under 70L-90L a bit small for a bristlenose), corydoras (pygmy and regular). Species tanks could include dario dario, dwarf puffers, shellies (maybe?) and bumblebee gobies. Some put DPFs and bumblebee gobies together but even the species that tolerates fresh water won't thrive in the same way that it will brackish so I prefer to keep them in brackish only. Dwarf puffers can *sometimes* go with otocinclus, it depends on the personality of the puffer though. Dario dario will do OK with otos and maybe a small rasbora species. Report
April 9, 201412 yr comment_548693 It might if you got two females kris, males get too big and if a pair spawn the tanks not going to be big enough. Kribs can be quite aggressive to each other and to other fish if they have eggs/fry. Threadfin rainbows are very delicate fish, look fabulous in a decent sized group. Report
April 9, 201412 yr comment_548699 Would 2 kribs and some threadfin rainbowfish work Thanks Silverdollarboy2 Kribs get quite big and territorial - I often see them in slightly bigger tanks than small tanks. Blue/gold/etc rams would work well otherwise though? I mean the kribs are possible but not preferable I also don't know whether kribs are fin nippers or not but threadfins (as Adrienne has said) are quite delicate and prefer very peaceful, slower moving fish as tankmates. Honey or thicklipped gourami are great tankmates in my experience. For threadfins you also want a group of 7+, they're best in big groups and you can have multiple males to a group (not particularly aggressive and the males chase and flare at each other). Report
June 9, 20233 yr Author comment_582499 Hi Caryl, good to hear from you again. It has been a while since I've frequented the forum. I am now at university so unfortunately have sold all my aquariums, but very tempted to start something small up again as the bug has never quite left. We'll see what happens in the next 6 months or so... Report
June 9, 20233 yr Author comment_582500 Well that didn't take long - turns out there's now a Hollywood Fish Farm in my area and a 21L tank followed me home somehow... Report
June 12, 20233 yr comment_582503 They are sneaky like that. Hopefully it doesn't start to breed (having only one should slow it down a bit) while you are limited for space. What do you plan to put in it? Report
June 12, 20233 yr comment_582508 They will make a good display. Are they readily available? I have been out of the fish buying game for many years and have no idea what is around these days. My 4ft must be due to give way at the seals as it is over 20 years old now and has no fish added to it for at least 15 years. All my fish are self replenishing. It only has Odessa barbs and Ancistrus in it. Some of the Ancistrus are 10 - 15 years old and the youngest about 3 months, judging by its size. Lots of plant and driftwood makes it hard to count fry and it is pure luck (or grandsons' keener eyes) when we spot more fry due to their size and colouring. The Odessas are easier as they zip through the Anubias and rotala. Report
June 13, 20233 yr Author comment_582509 I agree, will be nice having a tank with low stocking and plenty of plants. Shouldn't be too hard to find a group of them, I know a few breeders along with HFF have them. Your tank looks awesome Caryl, I feel like buying fish should always be secondary to enjoying and looking after them for many years like you have done. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.