Cunninghams Skink

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your list is of NZ natives but these are strains. A zoo would have the permits to keep them but my question was can they be kept in private hands or would you need a zoo permit.The planners might get nickers in a twist if you applied for a zoo permit in a residential zone

I have kept this species, they are perfectly legal in private hands and have been so for many years. Unfortunately not many keepers have pairs, or their animals are very old. They make for a very interesting species to observe, and seem reasonably easy to look after once past the baby stage.

I got offered a shingle back back in the 90's for $3000 or was it $5000, long time ago but was heaps! Thought it was a rip off couldn't afford it then and definitely not now. Used to catch em as a kid in Australia where they also sold em for $20 in pet store and you didn't need a permit back then. They were very similar in behaviour to the blue tongues I also kept.

There have been talk of jacksons chameleons floating around but there is no evidence of any legal ones as far as I know, then again i do know someone with a one of a kind African tortoise that was brought in decades ago that is completely legal so anything's possible. Anyway i decided to grab the cunninghams skink cus ive always have had a soft spot for them and shinglebacks (fingers crossed they pop up).

Thanks man, will do :bggrn: ill definatly be showing him off but then again with that pricetag ill keep my audiance to my trusted fellow fishforum members. Cheaper than i would have expected though.

Although it sold for a lot, i thought it would go for a heap more as i havent seen them for sale at all. Have you picked the little guy up yet :bggrn:

Yea i was expecting it to be more than a tortoise, he has posted another one for sale so will see how the bidding goes there. Nah im going out to get him on thurday and ill check out what the parents look like as cunninghams vary from dark brown to black and amount of spots.

Yea beardies have gone up in price this past year as i got mine 2 years ago for only $200 from animates. I like reptiles at highish prices though cus makes people care for them very well. Thats why im worried about the drastic decline in leopard gecko prices, they were at $500 for a male around a year ago, and $1500 a couple years before that. I guess i just need to trust they are going into capable hands.

Yea beardies have gone up in price this past year as i got mine 2 years ago for only $200 from animates. I like reptiles at highish prices though cus makes people care for them very well. Thats why im worried about the drastic decline in leopard gecko prices, they were at $500 for a male around a year ago, and $1500 a couple years before that. I guess i just need to trust they are going into capable hands.

true, water dragons are worse though $80 from the iguana breeder

true, water dragons are worse though $80 from the iguana breeder

Yeah I know someone who adopted a waterdragon from a bush in their backyard with no reptile owners nearby other than him, so lets hope they there isn't a repeat of the red eared slider incident where they became ridiculously cheap and now we have turtle rescue centres. But I hope that issue is coming to an end, I just keep on informing my customers at Hollywood before they make impulse buys.

It is supply and demand. There have not been many baby beardies for sale in the last couple of breeding seasons but still a good supply of water dragons and leps. There may be a heap next season and the price will come down. I think it will take a few years for more cunninghams to be available because they don't seem to be as prolific as the bluies.

New someone who caught a blue tongue after it came out from under their house during winter( I guess it was brumating and wanted a drink). Whether or not it was let go or escaped I guess no one will know. But I'm sure they could create a breeding pop as found in cooler climes in Australia. This pop could be wiped out if caught quick as they are such slugs DOC could just run them over!